Off to the beach and Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
February 9th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We set off early and blitzed the drive from Rotorua up past Auckland and over the harbour bridge, ending up in the seaside resort of Orewa.

On our original itinerary we were supposed to be going up to the Coromandel peninsula for a night but when we looked again at the map and driving times decided that it would be ridiculous. We paid an extra few dollars for a beach front site and were so glad we did - the perfect spot directly opposite the sea.

There was not a great deal going on in Orewa but the 2k sandy beach was ideal and we even managed a run along it in the morning (which was far harder than it should have been - we just haven't fitted in much running lately).

Then to make our way up to Northland and the Bay of Islands. Apart from a customary latte stop in a strangely sculptured roadside cafe our first stop was the quaint port area of Whangerei, where we had a wonderful lunch of seafood pizza and scallop and bacon salad. The only trouble was we were then a bit sleepy and still had a lot of driving and exploring to do.

A quick stop off at the Whangerei falls and then along wiggly coastal roads to Paihia - the main resort of the Bay of Islands. It seemed very touristy so we didn't stop long before heading to our final destination - Kerikeri. We checked in to the grassy 'Top 10' camp and found a sunny spot to recover in before another busy day tomorrow.

We had always had in mind that we would like to do some kind of watersports whilst in the Bay of Islands but it didn't seem that there was as much on offer as we had expected. We were determined to find something active to do though so headed back to the beach at Paihia to check out the action the next day. All we found was some sea kayaking which we had already done in Abel Tasman (and did not want to taint the memory) so we hopped on the ferry across to Russell, walking straight up to the gorgeous three sixty degree look out over all the bay. Fantastic!

Then it was back to Paihia for a lazy afternoon by the beach where we happened to see some parachuters literally 'drop in' and on to two wineries: Cottle Hill and Marsden estate. Both good but not a patch on Marlborough. We did buy a pinotage though.

We checked out every menu in Kerikeri and settled on 'The Italians' for dinner. We are very excited - unsually for us we've hardly eaten out. They seem to be more into cafes and coffees than evening restaurants here but Kerikeri might be more promising...we'll see.

Update - 'The Italians' restaurant was empty (never a good sign) so we sneaked off to the bustling Black Olive by the campsite instead. We were so glad we changed our plans - Daz's lamb shank was fantastic and Loz's seafood platter even better - just look at the size of it - and this was meant to be a starter!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th February 2010

wow- that pizza looks amazing- i see that Loz couldn't wait to have a taste before taking the photo!xx

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb