Auckland N.Z.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
August 27th 2014
Published: August 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Aboard the ferryAboard the ferryAboard the ferry

Heading to Devonport the Dawn Princess can be sen in the left top background.
Auckland: Through the night we steamed on a South Westerly direction, and in the early morning approach to the Hauraki Gulf from the North. We utilized the sector light positioned on Takapuna Beach as we entered Rangitoto Channel leaving Rangitoto Island on our port side. Under the command of the captain supported by the bridge team and by the pilot we rounded North Head and entered into Waitemata Harbour before making our way towards our berth Queens Wharf, starboard side alongside.

Our berth was right in the centre of Auckland, and adjacent to the ferry terminal where we caught the ferry to Devonport, and did our own walk around this quaint seaside part of Auckland. The Naval depot is situated here H.M.N.Z.S. Philomel, is where I had a game of rugby back in the early 70’s it still haunts me we got smashed.

We also made a visit to the Naval Museum which had many interesting exhibits on display, it has only been open a couple of years.

The day was very cold however, and on our return from Devonport we had to return to the ship and get a jumper each the wind was icy.

Some
DevonportDevonportDevonport

Auckland in the background
friends of ours went on a ferry to one of the islands near Auckland and were lucky to witness a pod of about seven Killer whales extremely close at hand. Apparently they were in the harbour feasting on Stingrays.

For dinner tonight we went to the same Pizzeria we ate at four years ago with George and Sandi Robinson, the pizza was okay but not as good as it was at that time.

Well the blog is drawing to a close as we are at sea until Sunday morning when we arrive in Sydney, so there will be probably be only one more entry, some readers are probably saying thank god.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Navy MuseumNavy Museum
Navy Museum

Me looking all nautical.
Mock set up of a mess deckMock set up of a mess deck
Mock set up of a mess deck

Left hand side is a row of bunks three high. On the Vampire my bunk was the bottom one, I remember there was a lot less headroom.


Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb