kiwi heaven


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
December 11th 2007
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Living life in the fast lane!!!Living life in the fast lane!!!Living life in the fast lane!!!

Lisa has no fear as she falls to earth at 200kph.............well that's what she told me to put anyway!
Auckland, New Zealand (the city of sails as it is also known) - home to 1.3million people and a strong presence of Maori, European, Polynesian and Asian cultures.
It’s the gateway to New Zealand and probably the starting point for all who arrive.
With the population being so low, its refreshingly easy to access all the city has to offer - the sky tower being an obvious choice amongst tourists and residents alike.
As cities go, it’s in a pretty impressive location surrounded by more than 50 islands and shaped by 49 volcanoes.

Our itinerary allowed us to be in the city for 2 days before sneaking off to Rotorua overnight (a last minute arrangement).
The buses are a real delight after the monstrosities we encountered in India. The naked bus companies have particularly good deals for those who can book well ahead with deals starting at just $1.

I have fond memories of this sulphur smelling, smoke infested cauldron that is - Rotorua.
We were here for a very good reason this time and one that I would take particular pleasure in seeing Lisa squirm for a few short hours before hurtling towards earth at terminal velocity.....yes
The reflection of Auckland skytowerThe reflection of Auckland skytowerThe reflection of Auckland skytower

I wanted to try something different here so I looked for reflections of the building as opposed to the usual 'tourist' shot.
you guessed it - I had booked her in for a 12000ft skydive over the hotbed (and more precisely 'active') Rotorua.
The skydive, of course, went well.....err......a little too well in my eyes because she wanted to go straight back up and do it all again.
She has a taste for the extremities that life can offer and what better place to be in the world than New Zealand.

Our trip to Rotorua was short lived because we had a promise to fulfill to a German couple who own the chicken farm we were due to work on over Christmas and New Year.
Chris and Conny are a very unique couple. They are incredibly intelligent and are now enjoying the slower paced life that the countryside offers.
They own a successful tattoo shop in Warkworth (Chris tattoo's and Conny deals with any piercing's that need to be done).
They make a great team in their working environment but their passion is their haven for the feathered kind.
Chickens pretty much dominate their lives at home, and their 2.8 (ha) property caters for their every whim.
You have the chicken 'hospital' inside the house for poor patients, the triangular
Tattoo in progressTattoo in progressTattoo in progress

All that is needed now is little stars to complete this uncomfortable tattoo for lisa. It was tough but she made it!
pen's for the elderly (and mums to be) - oh and the countless tree's and bushes are what the chickens call home after a hard days pecking.
You really get attached to these little guys after a short while and the highlight is undoubtedly what we call 'THE STAMPEDE'. This needs to be in capitals to get across the almighty struggle for food every morning which muggin's here has in our caravan.
Imagine 250 hungry chickens in all shapes and sizes trying to get at the 2 buckets of feed that Lisa and I possess each day. The noise alone will wake you, but step foot outside with those buckets and you better pray you've got good travel insurance.

It sounds hectic but it was a delight to work for them. Conny and Chris are so laid back and have a refreshing outlook on life. Our long chats were both enthralling and hilarious and we learn't a heck of a lot in a short space of time.
Lisa has discovered a new talent in shooting too. Target practice with an air-gun on their property has uncovered a potential sniper in her.
Parachuting.........shooting.........what next Lisa........joining the SAS?

On a
Target practiceTarget practiceTarget practice

Lisa is a natural born marksman. Just watch out if you get on her wrong side. Truly amazing vision.
serious note though - we would like to thank Chris and Conny for making our Christmas and New Year special this year. Our playing cards present ensures that we can keep up to scratch on our favoured 'sh@t head' game and Lisa’s tattoo will be a permanent reminder of our time here.

So it’s off to Chile next for us on the 3rd Jan.......we'll keep you posted and thanks for reading.

Ciao



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The real dealThe real deal
The real deal

This is the 'hunting gun'. It packs a punch and is extremely loud. The best sight in the world makes for precision aiming.
You could say Lisa is havin' fun!You could say Lisa is havin' fun!
You could say Lisa is havin' fun!

The moment of no return. An awesome sight. I just wish I took this photo myself. No can do im afraid......oh well.
Do they get cuter than this?Do they get cuter than this?
Do they get cuter than this?

This is one of many baby chicks on the farm we worked at. We miss them alot.
A nice partnershipA nice partnership
A nice partnership

I'd like you to meet Maggie. She was named by Lisa and actually adopted her as her mum. A nice experience!


22nd January 2008

wohoo..
NZ was a goodin...mad chickens...nice jump..and got a tatoo..bad asses
22nd January 2008

ha..
and learnt guns!thats a must ! just 4 the sake of it!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb