The Kiwi Or the Lemming?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 1st 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Auckland

We arrived in Auckland early afternoon, and greeted by tremendous sunshine. We checked into our hostel ACB which was very well equipped but a little over priced. I must have been in Auckland for no more than an hour and became well aware of three of the very popular 'sayings' over here..."cool as", “fooking A” and "sweet as!"

Taking the long walk into town the Auckland Skytower at 328 meters was easily visible giving a centre point to aim for as I wound my way slowly towards it. The Skytower is the main attraction in Auckland and proudly proclaimed as the highest free standing structure in the southern hemisphere, higher than Sydney's tower offering, any excuse for a dig at those across the water!?

From the top it gave panoramic views across the city both out of the windows and down through the glass panelled flooring in places which despite a notice saying it was a strong as the concrete around it most people tended to side step around them. Looking out across to the harbour bridge and round the bay the view was only broken by a body falling past the window with the Sky tower also being another Kiwi 'hurl-yourself-from' platform, this one allowing you a 192 meter tethered fall.

Back down at ground level I took another long walk down to the harbour area looking over to the harbour bridge yet another bungy spot. Think the lemming should really be New Zealand's national icon rather than the kiwi.

The harbour area was quite scenic in the sun, packed with cafes and bars. Nearby was a Greenpeace anti-whaling ship giving tours and declaring their free Willy policy which was made all the more entertaining due to the high numbers of Japanese taking pictures - there everywhere in Auckland.

After some careful planning and chatting to some other travellers we opted to take the ‘Sheep Dog’ tour with Kiwi Experience who provided open transport and a tour guide to most of the popular spots on both the north and south islands.

We following day up bright and early we were taken to Mount Eden which provided a superb view of the city, Auckland's Sky Tower so small in the distance. The views were terrific and it was strange to think that I was standing on top of a volcano!

Little over an hour from Auckland, with very few population settlements anywhere we drove over green gentle rolling hills, through forests, and along lovely coastline. We stopped and spent the afternoon at Cathedral Cove, a beautiful unspoilt beach accessible only by sea or on foot a steep half hour walk through thick forest. Cathedral Cove named so because of the shape that erosion has made in the cliff (see pictures) apparently resembles a Cathedral. I’m not so sure.

We then made or way to Hot Water beach which sits on a thermal outlet. Here, you are supposed to be able to dig a hole on the beach and the water that fills it will be hot from all the volcanic activity underneath. Your very own private Jacuzzi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 101; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb