Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Whangaparaoa
March 11th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Auckland


Hello everyone! It's Sat morning here (I think). This whole international date line thing has me really confused! We arrived in Auckland yesterday at 6 am. We got to our hotel around 8:30 but of course couldn't check into our room. So we dropped off our luggage and went exploring. We went to this kind of touristy but still kind of neat aquarium, with lots of penguins and sharks and sting rays. It was a beautiful bus ride just getting there. Then we went back to the city and went to the Sky Tower, the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere. Some crazy people were bungee cord jumping off of it, not us. Then we went to an area called Ponsomby Road, filled with restaurants, and had a very nice lunch at a Thai restaurant. At that point, we headed back to the hotel with the intention of taking a 2 hour nap but oops the alarm clock didn't work so we took a 6 hour nap instead. When we finally woke up, we showered (it felt so nice to be clean!) and then went to a bar called Minus 5, which was cleverly enough minus 5 celcius inside. Everything was made of ice and the drinks were served in ice cups. They gave you heavy coats and gloves to wear. We then wandered around and found a tapas restaurant. I think maybe tapas isn't as popular here as it is in the US because the waiter seemed truly shocked when Chris asked about flan for dessert- it seemed like most people didn't know what flan was, based on his reaction. But we got our flan and it was delicious! We then went back to the hotel room and despite our long nap, we still got a full night's sleep. I actually feel rested right now! We're about to head off to the airport to go to Christchurch. I hope everything is well at home.

Advertisement



10th March 2006

Christchurch
We just left Christchurch. We went to a cute live play about a wedding. There is only one live theater there so you might check it out. You will love it. ANZ in Christchurch has had the best exchange rates we found. we leave Queenston tomorrow for for milford sound. Enjoy. Teann and Bob
10th March 2006

FUN!!! I am shocked that you and Chris didn't participate in the bungee jumping. Just shocked :) Maybe next time...

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb