Auckland Museum


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Parnell
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

For those who are going to Auckland, never miss this place, the Museum.


It’s located in Parnell, a town beside Auckland town center. You can go there by The Link bus, which is a green bus that you pay $1.60 and you can hop off at any stop (of course just for once). I like this bus line coz the route is quite simple. Beside friendly bus drivers (that I met), there’s a plasma TV in the bus with GPS showing where the bus heading, and the information about the places, weather report, and the thing I like most, movie preview.


Please inform the bus driver if you are going to the Museum as it’s not by the main road. The driver will tell you this is the stop for Museum and please ask them the direction if you’re not sure.


It’s a huge building. The admission is “free” but need to pay $5 for donation (almost compulsory coz you can’t go in without the donation receipt). They are 3 levels. The ground and first floors are alright, it’s nice but so-so if you have gone through every Museum in NZ.


The second floor’s theme, Scars on the Heart is about the war and the sacrifice of New Zealander Army. It presents the war generation, all the weapons, attire, history and so on. In the centre court, the wall was fully-craved with the names of the army that sacrificed. And we can see paper flowers were put on by some of the names. The government really appreciates what have the sacrificed army done and what they brought in return.


When we left that floor, both of us in tears. It’s touching. The war is cruel; but for the nation, the people exchange the freedom of the nation with their life. They knew there’s no turning back once they step on the battle trucks, they left their family and home forever; but in that generation, they have no choice but keep believing what they believe.


I appreciate the peace that we are having now. It’s from the blood of our last generation.

For the sacrificed army, I salute you!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb