Day 175-178: Bali to Auckland, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » North Shore
July 20th 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bali to New Zealand


Monday, July 20th


Kuta really is a party town. Some people here only go to bed when the sun comes up (sounds like a couple of good guys we know and miss back home). Our last day in Bali (and South East Asia) dawned rainy and cool. Soon the cool left but the drizzle hung around for a while longer. We packed, watched a movie on TV (Wayne’s World, what a laugh!), then checked out, leaving our luggage at reception. We found a restaurant where we hoped to spend the afternoon but all too soon we were boiling and decided to walk around and try to find a way to amuse ourselves. We had eight more hours to kill and if you're not drinking, shopping or surfing there isn't much to do in Kuta. We ended up back at our hotel and lounged by the pool.

It's almost impossible to believe that we'd spent nearly six months in South East Asia! Even looking through our own pictures fails to make it more real. Never in our wildest dreams had we thought that we'd have such an opportunity as this. We are truly blessed and very thankful for our time here. There've been a lot of ups and a few downs, but one thing is for sure... We'll never ever forget this trip!
Like the info-mercials say: "But wait! There's more..." We're not done yet! We can hardly believe that we're on our way to New Zealand! We've dreamt about visiting NZ for more than two years, and now we'll be there tomorrow! It's absolutely unbelievable... We can't wait!

So, when our backs got sore from all the lying down we went for a few cups of tea and a last plate of noodles. Before leaving for the airport we dressed in our long clothing, exchanging shorts for cargos and jeans, and flip-flops for sneakers. What a weird thing to do when you're on an island!

When we arrived at the airport grounds we got stuck in traffic. Because of the recent bombing attacks in Jakarta and because Bali had been a favourite target in the past, they had very strict security, checking each and every car that entered the airport. For the first time ever we didn't mind sitting in traffic.

When checking in for our flight we were told that the flight was delayed by an hour. Oh well, our four hour lay-over in Sydney just became a three hour lay-over. We'll be spending a lot of time in airports in the next 24 hours.

Today's highlights:
1. Watching Wayne’s World.
2. Starting our journey to New Zealand.

Tuesday, July 21st


We left Bali at 00:12am in a Jetstar time machine. It was a five hour flight, moving two hours into the future, and we managed about three hours sleep. At 07:04am we touched down in Sydney where Ferdi was "randomly" selected for an explosives security check. He did look a bit like a bandit so who can blame them?

We were hungry so we got some seriously expensive baguettes. We still have to get used to the major price difference between the east and the west. We then went booze shopping which, ironically, is much cheaper here than in Asia. Over the last (almost) six months we've really wanted whiskey but it was just too expensive. Ferdi found the biggest bottle of Jack Daniels he'd ever seen! Imagining all the chaos waiting in that bottle he decided on a smaller one. Talita got a big bottle of Ballantines.

Our flight was delayed by an hour so, four hours later we got on the plane to Auckland. It was a three hour flight and we managed an hour nap. We landed in Auckland at 15:12. We're now ten hours ahead of South Africa.

After making our way through customs and the bio-hazard inspections, we were met by our friend Nicol. How awesome it was to arrive in a country with someone to meet us! Nicol, Melanie and little Keira kindly offered us a home for as long as we want! They rock! We hope to one day return the favour and also be that kind to strays from abroad.
😊
We hit traffic on the way home but enjoyed the order and quiet on the street. No hooters, no scooters with bad exhausts blasting around, beautiful bays, nice skyline. It was sunny and cool. And no mosquitoes! It was great! We've only just arrived and we already love NZ.

We arrived at their home in Browns Bay on the North shore and were amazed to see carpets again. It was strange to be in a western home again. The last time we saw Keira she was a small baby. Here
She likes to play in the waterShe likes to play in the waterShe likes to play in the water

Wild horses couldnt drag her away! Its been six months!
we were met by a walking, babbling, laughing, red cheeked, blue-eyed cutie-pie!

We dropped our bags and got the presents we bought for them in Asia. For Keira we brought an Orangutan from Borneo. She loved it and ran around the house saying "Monkey! Monkey!" and making "ooh-ooh" sounds. It was hilarious and we instantly fell in love with the little gal. For Nicol and Mel we'd brought a double hammock from Bali. We didn't know how else to say thanks for their wonderful hospitality, but we'll think of something more...

Mel had made us a wonderful meal and we opened our bottles of whiskey. We enjoyed great company and before we knew it, it was 11pm and we'd had too much whiskey!

Today's highlights:
1. Arriving in NZ.
2. Getting to stay with Nicol and Mel.
3. Having our first whiskey in six months.

Wednesday, July 22nd


The whiskey was real good last nights but today we paid the price. Our first morning in New Zealand and we're hung-over. Oi...

The house was empty because Mel and Keira were at the day-care center, so we had the morning to ourselves to nurse our hangovers.
A walk in the parkA walk in the parkA walk in the park

New Zealand style
After a shower we made our own toast for the first time in six months and, hung-over or not, Talita was in the kitchen cleaning as soon as she had the chance.

When Mel and K returned we had snack-whiches with cheese and baked beans. It was very messy but very tasty. Later we went for a walk through the park where we fed the ducks and after stopping for some cash and water we went on to the beach. The neighborhood is beautiful and peaceful. No fences or burglar bars. It feels a little like a small South African coastal town. We got to the beach and it was very strange to walk on the sand dressed in winter clothing. Keira ran around chasing after every dog. It got a little cool and we returned home.

Mel made us a big dinner and Ferdi had lamb chops for the first time in a very long while. It was deeeeeelicious! It's great to get home cooked food again! After dinner we started shopping online for a campervan. There are lots to choose from and it's a bit daunting trying to find the right one at the right price.

Today's highlights:
1. Going to the beach.
2. Getting our Vodafone sim card.

Thursday, July 23rd


We woke a little late this morning. We're four hours ahead of what we're used to so our bodies are still catching up. After breakfast Mel took us to the mall for some shopping. Here we got priority parking in an extra big parking bay because of Keira. How cool is that? Mel pointed out the cheap shops and we got some more winter clothing at surprisingly good prices. We had savoury muffins and hot chocolate for lunch and returned home.

Mel and Talita cooked up a vegetable and lentil soup, and at 4pm we went to the doctor to refresh an expired prescription. We walked back home and talked about how comfortable we feel here. Maybe it's because Nicol and Mel looks after us so well or maybe it's being back in a western country. Maybe it's a bit of both. All we know is that we dig NZ, and we'd only seen this small part. The pace is just so much slower and more relaxed here. That suits us just fine!

We'd also fallen in love with little
Keira likes the bread too muchKeira likes the bread too muchKeira likes the bread too much

No bread for the ducks
Keira and (our moms will be happy to know) we decided to have our own as soon as we've settled somewhere. Watching Nicol, Mel and Keira really gave us a glimpse into what it's like having a baby and we both feel ready for it.

Back home we enjoyed that yummy soup the ladies had prepared then settled in for a quiet evening.

Today's highlights:
1. Getting more winter clothing.
2. Muffins and hot chocolate lunch.
3. Getting our prescription filled.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Green lawns of the parkGreen lawns of the park
Green lawns of the park

We seem to have brought the sunshine from Bali
Enjoying the sea breezeEnjoying the sea breeze
Enjoying the sea breeze

in full winter wear
Savoury muffins & hot chocolateSavoury muffins & hot chocolate
Savoury muffins & hot chocolate

Best medicine for a chilly winters day


23rd July 2009

NZ woo hoo
Hey Ferdi and Talita You are in NZ that is FAB!!!! Have fun, and looking forward to seeing how you do and what you do! Fab x take care :) lol sonia x
23rd July 2009

Congratulations!!
So you have finally arrived in NZ. I have enjoyed reading your blogs of your travels throughout SE Asia. Keep up blogging as you settle down. I want to know how it all turns out. It's great that you have friends who aid in the transition.
24th July 2009

terug in haar eliment!
lol...kyk hoe blink haar ogies agter daai wasbak! hahaha! Ek het Talita so baie gemis ek het maar n skottelgoedwasser gekoop! Dis naaste wat ek aan haar kon kry! Bly alles is close to back to normal daar! XxX
27th July 2009

Welcome!
Welcome to NZ! Hope you have an awesome time, and the invite to come visit / stay is still open if you are heading this way.

Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 20; qc: 161; dbt: 0.204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb