Background: After almost four decades under US administration as the easternmost part of the UN Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Marshall Islands attained independence in 1986 under a Compact of Free Association. Compensation claims continue as a result of US nuclear testing on some of the atolls between 1947 and 1962. The Marshall Islands hosts the US Army Kwajalein Atoll (USAKA) Reagan Missile Test Site, a key installation in the US missile defense network.
Blogs from Marshall Islands
Latest Blogs from Marshall Islands
- February 20th 2011 Marshall Islands - in the middle of nowhere
by Words: 586 Photos: 4
- September 16th 2009 My Final Testing Grounds
by Words: 1578 Photos: 16
- September 12th 2009 Army Base with Ships?
by Words: 914 Photos: 8
- August 8th 2007 Paradise on earth
by Words: 491 Photos: 12
- July 6th 2007 It all gets a bit fishy in the Marshalls
by Words: 1140 Photos: 9