Fakarava, Polynesia


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Fakarava
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 23, 2014

Arrived this morning and on looking out of our stateroom window the first thing that came to mind was;

“ Where the Fakarava ?? “

Yes we had arrived in Fakarava, The Island of Dreams. This an atoll about a block or 2 wide but about 60 KM long with only about 800 people total. It appears about 700 are not working as the major hotel is closed for annual maintenance.

This turned out to be a great stop, in lieu of the place we were unable to get to. We took a long walk down the main ( almost the only ) road along the beaches. Some good sandy beaches but a lot with coral and rock. Swim shoes, with good soles, are a must here, and most places in Polynesia. We found a great small beach area with some great snorkeling and a good view of lots of fish from a small pier. Very quiet here so it was a great time in the water.

A few good dive shops here and the area is known for great Scuba Diving.

This is another very beautiful place but unless you dive it would be a very laid back vacation as there is little else to do.

Had a great day and some good times on board Marina. Sailed late afternoon for an early morning stop and full day in Rangiroa tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb