fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
December 30th 2008
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent 10 days on the fijian islands and went to 3 different resosrts. In the first resort we went snorkeling with sharks and got to touch them, crazy!We also so a million multi coloured fish.very pretty. Then we were treated to a fiji night were the islanders danced and we all drank kava - this is their version of an alcoholic drink. It is distgusting and tastes of soil and feet and leaves your mouth totally numb. The next few days we spent playing in the water,lying on hammocks and frying in the sun with our pale irish skin. We met some really lovely people and on christmas day had a sports day and played volley ball with the locals. not your average christmas! fiji is exactly what you would imagine paradise to look like. everyone should go there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

south sea islandsouth sea island
south sea island

unbelievable. This is the first of the Yasawa Islands that we saw on the boat up to our resort.
beachcomber Islandbeachcomber Island
beachcomber Island

the famous party island. Gareth and I were too old and boring to go there!
Our little house on the beachOur little house on the beach
Our little house on the beach

This was the first resort - Kuata eco resort. It was a 2 second walk to the beach. what more could you want?
The beach at KuataThe beach at Kuata
The beach at Kuata

with a nice view of another island
a coconuta coconut
a coconut

unsurprisingly, we ate a good few of these.
The kava ceremonyThe kava ceremony
The kava ceremony

This is taken very seriuosly. They make the yuk soil drink in the big pot. The island cheif takes the first drink while everyone sits in total silence.then you have to clap three times before you drink it.fun stuff!
fiji nightfiji night
fiji night

the island males dressed in lovely skirts and danced for us. halarious!
their mini conga dancetheir mini conga dance
their mini conga dance

again.....very macho!
fire dancingfire dancing
fire dancing

This was amazing to watch until this guy dropped his baton and it landed on gareths crotch and began to set his shorts on fire! soooooooooo funny!
amazing speedamazing speed
amazing speed

they spun the batons at like a million miles and hour without dropping them! (well except the one time onto gareth)
evening entertainmentevening entertainment
evening entertainment

coconut racing- involves tying a coconut on a string around your waste and using it to hit another coconut up the bar in a race - good family fun!
The Yasawa FlyerThe Yasawa Flyer
The Yasawa Flyer

the big yellow boat that took us between the islands to our resorts
Leaving KuataLeaving Kuata
Leaving Kuata

they sang songs of hello and goodbye on each island. It was lovely.made you feel sad to leave.
Our second resort - Coral ViewOur second resort - Coral View
Our second resort - Coral View

This was the big hut were we ate and had partys


1st January 2009

hello
thought i'd leave a message cos no-one else has... ...happy new year!!!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb