Sun, Sand and Squid


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
May 6th 2007
Published: May 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bula, a greeting we received constantly whilst in the beautiful country of Fiji. Meaning hello or simply cheers it sums up perfectly the friendly and relaxed atmosphere amongst the people.

We were welcomed at the airport by a small guitar quartet and immeadiately felt the tropical heat in our faces. Nadi Bay Hotel was our base for the night before heading out to the Yasawa Islands the following day. The hotel was peaceful and hidden amongst exotic plants and trees which helped to distract from the planes comong into land over head. As shops do not exist on the islands we headed into Nadi to stock up on provisions. The city is the third largest in Fiji and a major tourist centre due to its proximity to the Yasawas. The main street was bustling with locals and tourists and touts trying to sell you something or take you to a friends shop where they would then try to sell you something. Laura's stern look usually warned them not to bother us. We picked up water and snacks and headed back.

The next morning we had some idea of how bad the mosquitoes were as Laura, (the tasty one) was covered in bites so we made sure we had plenty of repellent.
We had decided to visit Nacula, one of the most Northern islands first and it was a four hour boat ride aboard the Yasawa Flyer. This boat allows you to hop on and off between the 20 volcanic islands which make up the Yasawa chain. Due to our bus running on 'Fiji time' it was 25 minutes late and having been told the boat leaves at 8.30 we started to get slightly worried. To add to this we didnt have a voucher as we had booked direct and a large unorganised queue greeted us at the port. Now approaching 9 we feared the worse. This was unnecessary however as the boat was also on 'Fiji time' and we finally made it aboard. The cruise through the islands was fantastic and each was very different but all very inviting covered in lush green vegatation and rimmed with golden sandy beaches.

Oarsman's Bay - Nacula



A small water taxi took us from the catamaran to the resort and we were welcomed by a small band and a refreshing drink. Oarsman's Bay Resort is owned by
The gorgeous beach at Oarsman'sThe gorgeous beach at Oarsman'sThe gorgeous beach at Oarsman's

Not a patch on Weston-Super-Mare.
the chief of the local village Nacula, and is situated on a beautiful crescent shaped beach with a large coral reef right in the shallows. We spent a lot of time snorkelling here along with sunbathing on one of Fiji's top beaches and a spot of sea kayaking. There were many excursions on offer and we chose to visit the impressive Sawa-I-Lau caves. These limestone caverns are half submerged so you can swim into them. Due to Laura's slight apprehension towards small dark spaces she chose to stay in the main chamber. I (Olly), assisted by a guide with a torch swam under into some smaller caves and passages. At the end of one of these we looked up to the light coming through a small shaft above us and it was here that the guide mentioned some of the caves were home to eels. Deciding not to tell Laura this until we were out, we headed back to the entrance.

Manta Ray Island



This fairly new resort beat our expectations and although the beach wasn't quite as good as Oarsman's, it had great facilities and food. The buildings, all on stilts were set amongst coconut
Swinging in hammocksSwinging in hammocksSwinging in hammocks

Something we spent a lot of time doing whilst in Fiji
trees and our private bure, (thatched Fijian hut) had a huge balcony. As there are no shops or restaurants on the islands, all meals are included and usually consist of traditional Fijian dishes.
Whilst on Manta Ray we visited the village of Soso on Naviti Island and one of the staff showed us around. The majority of the staff are from the village. We visited the school, Methodist church and meeting hall where many ladies sat selling handicrafts. As it was school holidays, many children were running around enjoying the sunshine and were very friendly and inquisitive. On the short boat trip back, we saw a Manta Ray as it swam just below the surface. It was enormous yet incredibly graceful and seemed as though it was flying through the water. Unfortunately we were visiting slightly too early for the season so were unable to go snorkelling with them which would have been a great experience.

We were lucky enough however to have hit Fijian night where food cooked in a Lovo, (sand oven in the ground) was served followed by Kava drinking. Kava, Fiji's national drink is water squeezed through the roots of a pepper plant to produce
Nice boatsNice boatsNice boats

Nicer sky
a muddy looking drink. You drink it out of a Bilo, (half a coconut shell) and is passed around the circle. It doesn't taste too special and is a narcotic but quite a lot has to be consumed before it takes any effect.

We witnessed our first Tropical storm that night which was very impressive and was also a welcome relief as it broke the heat. We devoted a whole day to being lazy, swinging in hammocks reading, followed by cocktails in the evening.

Octopus Resort - Waya



Our final stop was the rugged island of Waya. Octopus was by far the nicest resort we visited and we felt as though we had turned up at a celebrity retreat as we dropped our packs on the beach. It was very stylish and beautiful with it's own pool and the grounds were dotted with timber sun loungers. Our spacious bure had exotic flowers placed on the beds and an outdoor shower so we could stargaze. It was great to finish Fiji on such a high. We immediately went off snorkelling on the reef just off the beach and explored huge plains of fan coral and all it's vividly coloured inhabitants. The meals were a step up again in quality and like the other resorts, everybody sits at long tables. This is great as you get to meet loads of different people and make some good friends.

Whilst here, we got stuck in and did quite a few activities. One of these was basket weaving using palm leaves. Olly being the only boy needed a little assistance as the technique was similar to plaiting hair. Our instructor, appropriately named Moses, pretty much did his for him and helped finish mine. We're hoping to get these back to the UK but doubt customs will let us.

Nalauwaki, the local village puts on a weekly Meke, (traditional Fijian show) and so we walked the fifteen minute path to watch it. Kenni, our guide briefly showed us around before introducing us to the village elders and the Chief. We took part in another Kava ceromony and then enjoyed the Meke. The women, dressed in bright colours performed an intricate dance with fans and the men a powerful war dance. We once again bought some handicrafts from a small market.

Night snorkelling was another activity we took part
JellyfishJellyfishJellyfish

Thankfully a non-stinging variety. We didn't tempt fate though.
in. Armed with torches and lead by a guide, we swam over the reef in order to look at it in a different light (or lack of). It was going well until Laura came face to face with a large Squid. That plus the numerous Jellyfish and a kick in the face from an over enthusiastic American was enough for her and I've never seen anyone swim so fast back to the shore. I carried on and we saw Lobsters, Shrimp, Noodle Fish, a Lion Fish and the biggest Crab i've ever seen. It was so peaceful and magical and when you put your head above water, it was surreal just to be floating with the stars above and the dark ocean surrounding you. We had our second Lovo that night and the sheer variety on offer was fantastic including one of Olly's favourites, suckling pig.
As it was Laura's Dad's Birthday she was lucky enough to be able to ring home as the resort had a phone which is rare for the Yaswas. Meanwhile, I (Olly) had set off on a hike with one of the local boys, Atu. He had agreed to take me up one of the mountains overlooking his village. He was also nineteen and due to his excellent English we got on really well. He told me about life in the village, his school and stories about Waya and how it has changed over time. From the way he spoke he seemed totally content with his life amd said that he lived in paradise. I have to agree with him and although his life is vastly different to mine, I could see why he was so happy as he loved his village, had his family around him and lived in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. The views were stunning from the top as it was a clear sunny day although baking hot. To cool off, we took a dip in a waterfall and some pools on the way down before having some tea at his house. Atu was incredibly interesting and friendly and I was really grateful to him for the wonderful experience.

As soon as I got back it was straight on the boat for a choppy ride back to the mainland. Before our flight we did a bit of shopping in Nadi which was a big shock as we had been used to peaceful and secluded beaches over the past week.

Fiji was a tropical paradise and so different to anywhere we had ever been. Although the resorts were beautiful, it was the friendliness of the people and the sheer beauty of the landscape which made it for us. Another place we will definately be returning to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bites, Bites and more BitesBites, Bites and more Bites
Bites, Bites and more Bites

Yep I got bitten far too much and Olly had about 6 in total!
A farewell songA farewell song
A farewell song

We heard it many times throughout the Yasawa's and it was very beautiful and powerful.
Octopus Resort BeachOctopus Resort Beach
Octopus Resort Beach

This place was literally heaven
A MekeA Meke
A Meke

We were lucky enough to go to Nalauwaki village for their weekly Meke.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb