Day 75: Sawa-i-lau Caves


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Yasawa Island
February 22nd 2013
Published: March 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We managed to recruit lots of the newcomers at Nabua for the cave trip so we were able to go before our departure. Plus, it had stopped raining and blue skies had appeared. The boat ride up to the caves was about 40mins through some pretty exposed bits of sea up past Yasawa Island. A small group of tour guides greeted us and took us inside the caves. The water was cool and the limestone formation was pretty spectacular. To get to the second cave (the spitting cave) you have to swim underwater for a couple of metres and enter the pitch black cave. These caves were also used in the film Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields.
After our lunch we boarded the long boat which took us over to the catamaran. Five and a half hours later we reached Nadi and headed off to our hostel. The rain started to tip it down and our room at Bamboo hostel started flooding! Would we have drifted away by the morning?

Baileys bit: The main pool in the caves is about 5m deep and there was also a climbing route to a point about 3m above the water level to allow for diving. Obviously I partook in the activity, even if they were against Cat's wishes. A longer than normal journey to the main island was due to a delay at south sea island (the smallest of all the islands) where we had to pick up 3 boat loads of day trippers!

Daily mileage: 0 With the option of running on the island out of the question I hoped to run on the main land, however the late arrival and torrential rain (I'm talking flooded roads) meant I had to miss yet another day. Hopefully tomorrow!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb