Day 71: The Yasawas and Draquwa Island‏


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Naviti Island
February 18th 2013
Published: February 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So we knew that the islands would be small but didn't expect them to be that small! We boarded the Yasawa flyer boat at 8.30am and the first island we went past was South Sea Island. I'm not joking when I say it takes less than 60 seconds to walk from one side to another! Our island, Draqawa is a little bigger, with 3 beaches and 20 thatched bures. Although there are about 35 guests it doesn't feel busy at all. Today we lay on the beach and only a couple of other people were around. Our wooden bure is simple but rather romantic in its prime beachfront location..... Paradise perhaps? Barefoot lodge offers daily activities for the guests. Tonight's star activity was hermit crab racing. We took this very seriously and scouted out two quick crabs early on in the day: Gigantor & Oscar Pistorious (slightly contentious name we know!). Unfortunately this meant that we had to keep going back to find where they had wandered off to on the beach. We managed to keep them in our sights for 5 hours but they seemed to disappear while we were playing volleyball! After dinner it was time for the big race. I love that the hardest decision we've had to make all week is which hermit crab to enter into the race!

Bailey's bit: I joined in the game of volley ball which was a mix of guests and workers from the island. The locals were obviously very good and were extremely competitive. I picked up a couple of scrapes on my knee and elbow but totally worth it! The big event of the evening consisted of picking your crab, naming them (Oscar Pistorious (#35) and Unlucky (#13)) and then hoping they came in the top 3 in the 3 heats before the final. Oscar made it through in the second heat but the pressure got to him in the final and finished outside the medals. Who knew hermit crab racing could be so much fun! We then settled down in our bure just before the rain came.

Daily mileage: 0 the 7am departure meant I had to skip the morning run. There is a 'hike' on the island I will explore tomorrow but I was too involved in the volleyball today. I did however do a bit of swimming. I plan to do this twice a day when possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb