Fiji Time


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
June 24th 2012
Saved: March 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fiji


On the way over to Australia we figured we had to stop some where in the pacific ocean and Fiji was the destination of choice. It was a long flight from LA and the bizzare thing was we crossed the international date line at around midnight so there was entire day that didnt "exist" for us. When we arrived we were able to just see the sunrise over the Fijian mountains and it made the 11 hour flight all worth it.

We spent the first few nights in Nadi, the main tourist spot on the largest island of Fiji. We stayed in an incredible hostel that had the perfect atmosphere for Fiji. Everyone there was totally relaxed and just care free living. After dinner everyone would gather around and listen to the workers play guitar and drink KAVA. Kava is the Fijian drink, it is non alcholic and is made from the roots of a certain plant. After drinkng a few cups it gives you a relaxing body feeling while keeping your mind alert. This is how we spent pretty much every night in Nadi.

Although Nadi was a great expereince it wasnt the true Fiji you see in the postcards. With over 330 islands to choose from and a limited budget it was a tough decison to figure out where to go. We settled on the magical island called Mana Island just of the coast of the mainland. It was an hour speed boat ride through rough waves with non-engligh speaking drivers but we arrived at our paradise.

Mana Island was beautiful, the water was crystal clear and the beaches litterd with white sand. It was just my luck that it was the place I was going to be spending my 20th birthday. The days consisted of lying on the beach, swimming with the fish, exploring the island, and drinking the infamous Bounty Rum.

It was a different feeling celebrating a birthday on the road but it was great experience none the less. There was a group of us that had met in Nadi and went to the island together and they became my family for the night. It was definately a real treat to celebrate in a paradise like that, but I cant say the same for the morning after. After seeing all there was to see on the island and eating enough coconuts to last a lifetime we headed back to the mainland.

We went to the other end of the mainland this time and stayed a night in Suva. It was interesting driving through the Fijian countryside to get there, especially with the fijian driving habits (you'd think theve never drove a car before). Suva is the biggest city in Fiji and after walking around it for a day in the rain we headed back to same hostel we stayed in the begining in Nadi.

For our last couple nights we lazed around with the workers in the hostel and drank Kava and Fiji beers. We also visted the mud pools and natural hot springs in Nadi which was quite interesting.

After 12 days in the magical isles of Fiji we said goodbye to many new friends and hopped on our plane to Brisbane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 24


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb