Frocking up on a Sea Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 4th 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thu 2/4/10
Frocking up on a Sea Day

Yesterday was our first sea day and a nice one it was. I think John passed his training with flying colors as we enjoyed a quiet morning while many other guests appeared to be still recovering from their jetlag. We started out by posting the previous days blog entries then headed to mass which was actually quite well attended for 8 a.m. We then headed to the Dining Room for breakfast where we sat with two nice couples.
It was then time for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet in the Crows Nest. They had upgraded the party from coffee and cookies to Mimosas and appetizers. There were about 20 people there and as always nice to put faces to screen names. Lots of good information on how people checked prices for cruises and tours. This did cause us to miss the Kitchen tour and Crab Cake demonstration though.

Then it was time to eat again so we headed to the Dining Room for lunch. John had Cordon Bleu Burger and melon soup while I had a Steak Sandwich. John also had the best fried calamari with marinera sauce. To top it off we headed to the Culinary Arts Center for the Baked Alaska demonstration. Of course it included samples from the Pinnacle version which had Cherry Garcia Ice cream and it was very good. It was John’s first baked Alaska and he wasn’t sure he was going to like it but the Ben and Jerry’s hit the spot. The chef doing the demo did appear to have hearing problems as the poor Party Planner tried to ask questions which he didn’t seem to hear. Finally she just started answering them herself.

Next up was the Explorations Series talk on Fins, Feathers, and Flukes. We arrived early and they were just starting Trivia so we answered the questions but didn’t submit them thinking we really hadn’t done well. But we would have had 9 points and tied for 2nd. Now if John had remembered that his favorite tennis player had the nickname of the A Train (Andre Agassi or Arthur Ashe) we would have tied the top score. So we’re feeling pretty smart.

The presenter on the wildlife talk was very good and I think we learned a few things so we’ll see how many whales etc we see over the next few days. This was followed by the first Bingo game of the cruise. It was very well attended but we didn’t do so well here though I did get to stand on one game. Maybe next time.
So that was our busy morning and afternoon. Rough life these sea days. Then it was time to Frock Up for our first formal. John bought a new tux so this would be his first night to wear it. It did take him quite a while to get everything on properly in particular the studs and cufflinks. In fact I was ready quite a bit before him but my outfit wasn’t very complicated.

We headed up to the Dining Room and were seated with one of the couples from the roll call, another couple they knew, and a couple from Indiana. It was a very pleasant meal. I had the New Zealand rack of lamb and John had the Captain’s choice of Land and Sea after some wonderful asparagus soup. Dessert was my favorite Chocolate Soufflé. Too bad there’s not enough food on this trip 

We headed to the casino but didn’t play long since they had to shut it down at 8 as they got close to land again. So we headed to the piano bar and listened to Glenn for awhile before heading to the Captain’s Welcome Toast and Volendam Cast show of Gold.

So now we have two busy port days in Melbourne and Burnie Tasmania. Will ty to get a picture of John with an emu.


Advertisement



5th February 2010

Our fine dinning!!!
Today menu was Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas with spanish rice and refried beans. It.s starting to cloud up, rain is in the forecast. Ron going on Vacation and boy are we planning to have all bad fried foods, not normally allowed. Buddy says he misses you, but is happy getting all of his MOM's attention!!!!!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb