Musical Birds and Cuddly Koalas / Pájaros Musicales y Koalas Mimosos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 18th 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Perth --> Cairns --> Magnetic Island


CAIRNS: The Lagoon / La LagunaCAIRNS: The Lagoon / La LagunaCAIRNS: The Lagoon / La Laguna

Man-made, to make up for the lack of beaches in town ********* Artificial, para compensar por la falta de playas en la ciudad
We crossed pretty much the entire width of the country by flying from Perth in the South West to Cairns in the North East, and spent the next few days in our last backpackers' hostel whilst looking for a campervan.

Cairns is a very popular tourist hub, being at the doorstep (in Australian terms, that is) of both the rainforest in the north and the Great Barrier Reef off the coast. It is also the final destination for many who have made their way here from Sydney, and therefore a good place to find a vehicle to suit your needs - although mainly at the low-end of the budget.

The problem with buying a cheap campervan from another backpacker is that you don't know what you're buying, these vehicles rarely get serviced as they change hands faster than a dodgy coin and of course nobody wants to spend more money on servicing it than they've spent buying it. So many look like real death traps (and probably are!). This is especially a problem with cars registered in Western Australia and therefore don't have to get a Warranty of Fitness when they change ownership. Another problem is that they seem
CAIRNS: With Daniele / Con DanieleCAIRNS: With Daniele / Con DanieleCAIRNS: With Daniele / Con Daniele

Celebratory drinks after buying Ernie ********* Celebrando con unos tragos tras comprarle Ernie
to be filled with as much useless stuff as a second-hand dealer shop. They're passed down from one owner to the next, picking up various odds and sods along the way making them feel awfully cramped inside. Some "cunning" sellers use this as an excuse to put the price of the van up, making a very long list of all the "extras" it comes from, and trying to make it look like a bargain.

We were quite shocked by the state some of these vans were in, although their sellers, most more than 10 years younger than us, seemed to think they were selling little less than a luxury motorhome. So after a week or so we were starting to worry a bit. But our luck changed when we found "Ernie". "Ernie" was being sold by an Italian guy who had bought it off a Dutch couple 6 months earlier. This couple had looked after it as if it was their favourite child, after buying it from a dealer in Perth they serviced it every 6,000 kilometres and spent a small fortune on it bringing it over to Cairns. On top of this our Italian guy had hardly taken it out as he was based in Cairns and working 6 days a week. He was only selling it because things at work had turned sour and he was returning to Italy, but he looked genuinely gutted to have to part company with "Ernie". It was considerably more expensive than the others we'd seen (considering it was pretty much empty), but it ran very well, was clean and uncluttered and not falling apart at the seams, so we closed the deal. After spending a couple of days filling it up with bedding and crockery from the local charity shops ("op shops" (op stands for opportunity) as they call them in Oz), we were ready to set off!

We also found Ben a girlfriend, as we thought he might be a bit fed up with travelling on his own with just two humans for company. When he and Kylie set eyes on each other it was love at first sight and they've been inseparable ever since. (OK, the real story is that Maria saw the koala in a shop window and she found it so cute she couldn't resist buying it. As long as they don't start breeding now!).

We headed north first to see Cape Tribulation, the entrance to the rainforest. We couldn't go any further as the road beyond this point is only suitable for 4 wheel drive vehicles and "Ernie" wasn't one. We had hoped to see some estuarine crocodiles here but saw none. We did see some kangaroos in the campsite we stayed at, they have a small sanctuary where they look after injured or orphaned animals and we got to go inside with them and feed them and stroke them, one of them was very friendly (a bit too much so) and liked cuddling you and taking the odd nibble. They were very cute and we had some great pictures, however we have managed to lose them!! Not sure how, we guess we overwrote them by mistake. Oh well.

The campsite had a huge colony of flying foxes hanging upside down on the trees above us, they could be quite noisy when they were awake, bickering amongst themselves. But not as noisy as the kookaburras, which wake you up early in the morning with their laughing call, at first we thought they were monkeys! It seemed difficult to imagine that such a noise could come from a bird, if you've never heard it before try this! kookaburra. Another bird we really liked was the Friarbird (see picture), without a doubt the most musical bird we've ever heard. This is the only sound file we could find, although we don't think it does it justice: friarbird.

We would've loved to go diving in the Great Barrier Reef but Mark was still suffering with that nagging ear infection he caught months earlier in America, so we had to give it a miss. On our way south we stopped in Cairns again so he could see a doctor about it, and was told the antibiotics he was prescribed in Canada would have done nothing to cure the infection. He was given some drops instead and was told that it should clear up in a week or two. As the Great Barrier Reef stretches for another 2,000 kms (1,200 miles) (or thereabouts) south of Cairns, we were hopeful we could still go diving before it ran out!

An extract from wikipedia about this amazing place on Earth: "The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system, composed of roughly 3,000 individual reefs and 900 islands, that stretch for 2,600 kilometres (1,616 mi) covering an area of approximately 344,400 km². The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space and is sometimes referred to as the single largest organism in the world. In reality, it is made up of many millions of tiny organisms, known as coral polyps. Corals have been growing in the region for as long as 25 million years. The Great Barrier Reef supports a wide diversity of life: 6 species of sea turtles; 17 species of sea snakes; 30 species of whales, dolphins, or porpoises; over 200 species of birds (including 40 species of waterbirds); 400 species of corals, both hard corals and soft corals; 500 species of marine algae or seaweed; more than 1,500 species of fish, and 5,000 species of molluscs". Pretty impressive, uh?

We continued to make our way south, passing some beautiful beaches along the way. Beaches upon beaches of soft white sand, and they were all deserted. We didn't dare try any though as it was the beginning of the stinger season and we didn't fancy taking the risk, being as we often were far away from medical help. Another hidden danger of
CAPE TRIBULATION: Helmeted Friarbird / Filemón de TimorCAPE TRIBULATION: Helmeted Friarbird / Filemón de TimorCAPE TRIBULATION: Helmeted Friarbird / Filemón de Timor

Not much in the way of looks, but it was the most musical and entertaining bird we've ever heard! ********* no precisamente vistoso, ¡pero es el pájaro más musical y entretenido que hemos escuchado nunca!
these wonderful beaches are the strong rips that can drag you away and drown you within minutes. So all in all, we decided to leave the swimming until we got to safer places.

We took a day trip to Magnetic Island, mainly because our travel guide said it was one of the few places where it was relatively easy to spot koalas in the wild. If you visit the island you just have to rent a moke to explore it. You can also rent a car, but it can't be near as much fun! A moke as you can see in the picture is a small vehicle that looks like it should belong in a theme park or a golf course rather than on the road, but it was a good laugh going round in it.

The island is actually quite nice and has a few nice spots for swimming, we tried one of the bays and had great fun with the waves. Walking along one of the main beaches we saw a bird of prey flying quite close to a boat house and this funny character came out of it and started chatting to us. He looked like an eccentric old muggings in a sarong, a Hawaiian shirt and a straw hat decorated with what looked like cheap souvenirs. Half the time we couldn't work out what he was on about, but we have the suspicion that he was not nearly as mad as he made out to be, but acts it to scare away people who approach him for a laugh, probably regarding him as a funny local attraction. When we met him, for example, he told us that he "was only temporarily upon this plain and that he would soon be taken away to another world". He was friendly to us because we kept away from the house and let him be the one to start talking, but another guy who walked by and tried to join in was soon shooed away with a long diatribe that was complete and utter nonsense. We later found out he is known as crazy Bob but beware of calling him that to his face if you bump into him!

Later in the day we went looking for the koalas; it is best to do it at dusk as this is when they wake up to feed and it's easier to find them. Otherwise they are well camouflaged as they sit perfectly still in the branches of their favourite eucalyptus tree, snoozing for around 20 hours a day. Their entire diet consists of eucalyptus leaves, but this doesn't mean they are not fussy eaters. They have a good sniff of a leef before deciding whether to eat it or not, and if it doesn't smell quite right, they move on to the next one. We were lucky that day, with the help of other tourists who had spotted them earlier, we found two mothers with babies and on our way back we heard the call of a male (it sounds like this) and saw him on a tree near the path; we would've walked right past if he hadn't given himself away... The babies were the cutest things we've seen in a long time, with their big noses and furry ears, they really look like cuddly toys and you wish you could take one home with you!! What struck us most was how vulnerable they seemed, we had been taking pictures for a while before they opened their sleepy eyes and looked at us in mild interest.

More animal encounters in the next chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

En nuestro próximo vuelo nos cruzamos el país prácticamente de punta a punta, volando desde Perth al sudoeste a Cairns al noreste, y aquí pasamos varios días en el que sería nuestro último hostal de mochileros mientras nos buscábamos una autocaravana.

Cairns es un popular destino turístico, gracias a que está a un paso (en términos australianos, se entiende) tanto de las selvas tropicales del norte como de la Gran Barrera de Coral. También es el destino final de muchos que han llegado hasta aquí desde Sydney, y esto lo convierte en un buen lugar para encontrar un vehículo que se ajuste a tus necesidades - y a tu presupuesto, aunque la mayoría son sospechosamente baratas.

El problema con comprarle una autocaravana barata a otro mochilero es que no sabes lo que estás comprando; estos vehículos rara vez ven un taller a lo largo de su vida, cambian de manos más rápido que la farsa monea. Porque claro, nadie se quiere gastar en un taller más de lo que se gastó en el vehículo para empezar. Así la mayoría tienen toda la pinta de ser verdaderos trampas mortíferas (¡y probablemente lo son!). Otro problema es que suelen estar llenas de todo tipo de cosas absurdas e innecesarias, que han ido pasando de un propietario a otro según estos las han ido acumulando a lo largo de sus viajes, y hacen que el poco espacio disponible se vea reducido aún más. Algunos “listillos” utilizan esto como una excusa para subir el precio del vehículo, ofreciendo una larga lista de todos los “extras” que van incluidos en el precio y haciendo entender (o intentándolo al menos) que es una verdadera ganga.

La verdad es que ver el estado en el que estaban algunas de las autocaravanas nos dejó asustados, aunque sus propietarios, la mayoría más de 10 años más jóvenes que nosotros, parecían pensar que estaban vendiendo poco menos que una casa rodante de lujo. Así, tras una semana empezábamos a preocuparnos. Pero nuestra suerte mejoró cuando encontramos a “Ernie”. “Ernie” era propiedad de un chico italiano que se la había comprado a una pareja holandesa 6 meses antes. Esta pareja lo había cuidado como si fuese su hijo favorito, le habían hecho una revisión cada 5,000 kilómetros, gastándose una pequeña fortuna. Nuestro italiano apenas lo había sacado de Cairns, ya que no era un viajero, sino que estaba asentado aquí y trabajaba 6 días a la semana. Parecía sinceramente compungido por tener que venderlo, pero las cosas le habían ido mal en el trabajo y se volvía a Italia. La verdad es que era bastante más cara que las otras autocaravanas que habíamos visto (considerando que estaba prácticamente vacía), pero marchaba muy bien, estaba limpia y libre de trastos innecesarios y no se estaba rompiendo por las costuras, así que cerramos el trato. Después de pasar un par de días recorriéndonos las tiendas de segunda mano y comprando cosas como ropa de cama y menaje de cocina, ¡por fín estábamos listos para empezar la aventura australiana!

En Cairns también le encontramos una novia a Ben, ya que pensamos que debía estar ya un poco harto de no tener más que a dos humanos por compañía. Cuando éste y Kylie se vieron, fue amor a primera vista y no desde entonces han sido inseparables. (Tá bien, la verdad es que ví el koala en un escaparate y me pareció tan mono que no pude resistir la tentación. ¡Mientras no empiecen a multiplicarse, vamos bien!).

Antes de emprender el viaje a Sydney, echamos rumbo al norte y fuimos a Cape Tribulation (Cabo Tribulación), la entrada a la selva tropical. No pudimos pasar de aquí ya que la carretera a partir de este punto sólo es adecuada para vehículos 4x4 y “Ernie” no lo era. Teníamos la esperanza de ver algún cocodrilo estuarino pero no vimos ninguno. Sí vimos nuestros primeros canguros, en el camping donde nos alojamos, en un pequeño santuario donde acogían animales heridos o enfermos o que se habían quedado huérfanos. Incluso pudimos entrar en el recinto y acariciarlos y darles una golosina; uno de ellos en particular se pasaba de amistoso y se ponía a darte abrazos y algún que otro mordisquito. Eran una monería y sacamos varias fotos bastante buenas, pero no sabemos muy bien como nos las hemos arreglado para perderlas, creemos que las borramos por error. En fin.

En el camping también había una colonia enorme de zorros voladores, colgando boca abajo de los árboles a nuestro alrededor. Armaban un verdadero escándalo al despertarse, gruñéndose los unos a los otros. Pero ni la mitad de ruidosos que las cucaburras, que te despiertan bien temprano por la mañana con sus carcajadas, ¡al principio pensamos que eran monos! Era difícil de imaginar que un pájaro pudiera hacer semejante ruido, si no lo habéis oído nunca, ¡escuchad esto! cucaburra. Otro pájaro que nos encantó fue el Filemón (ver foto), que es sin duda alguna el pájaro más musical que hemos escuchado. Esta es la única grabación que hemos encontrado aunque creemos que no le hace justicia: filemón.


Nos hubiera encantado ir a bucear en la Gran Barrera, pero Mark seguía sufriendo con la otitis que había pillado meses atrás en algún lugar de América, así que tuvimos que dejarlo correr. Encaminándonos hacia el sur, paramos de nuevo en Cairns para que Mark viese a un médico, quien le dijo que los antibióticos que le habían dado en Canadá habían sido una pérdida de tiempo; y después de un examen rápido, le dió unas gotas que deberían acabar con el problema en una o dos semanas. Como la Gran Barrera se extiende unos 2,000 (o por ahí) kms al sur de Cairns, no perdíamos la esperanza de poder ir a bucear en él antes de llegar al final.

Un extracto de wikipedia acerca de la Gran Barrera de Coral (traducido del texto inglés): “La Gran Barrera de Coral es el mayor arrecife de coral del mundo, compuesto de aproximadamente 3.000 arrecifes individuales y 900 islas, y que se extiende a lo largo de unos 2,600 kilómetros, cubriendo un área aproximada de 344.400 km². La Gran Barrera de Coral puede ser vista desde el espacio y es a menudo calificada como el ser animal vivo más grande del mundo. En realidad, está formado por muchos millones de minúsculos organismos, conocidos como pólipos de coral. Los corales han crecido en este lugar desde hace 25 millones de años. La Gran Barrera de Coral mantiene una gran variedad de vida: 6 especies de tortugas marinas; 17 especies de serpientes marinas; 30 especies de ballenas, delfines y marsopas; más de 200 especies de aves (incluyendo 40 especies de aves acuáticas); 400 especies de corales, tanto duros como blandos; 500 especies de algas marinas; más de 1.500 especies de peces, y 5.000 especies de moluscos”. Impresionante, ¿verdad?

Continuamos dirección al sur, pasando por playas preciosas en el camino. Playas y playas de suave y blanca arena, y todas desiertas. No nos atrevimos a probarlas por el riesgo de las medusas, ya que estábamos a comienzos de la temporada y no queríamos correr riesgos, estando como estábamos a menudo lejos de cualquier ayuda médica. Otro peligro escondido de estas playas maravillosas son las fuertes corrientes que te arrastran y pueden ahogarte en cuestión de minutos. Total, que decidimos que mejor lo dejábamos para cuando llegásemos a sitios más seguros.

Un día nos fuimos de excursión a Magnetic Island (Isla Magnética), más que nada porque habíamos leído en nuestra guía de viaje que era uno de los mejores sitios para ver koalas en estado salvaje. Si visitas la isla, tienes que alquilar un “moke” para explorarla. Bueno, también puedes alquilar un coche, pero en comparación esto resultaría muy aburrido. Un “moke” como podéis ver en la foto es un vehículo que parece salido de un parque de atracciones o de un campo de golf, y da un poco de cante en una carretera, pero es súper divertido recorrerte la isla en uno de ellos.

La isla está bastante bien, tiene varias bahías con bonitas playas; nos atrevimos a meternos al agua en una de ellas y nos lo pasamos pipa con las olas, que nos dieron una verdadera paliza. Paseándonos por una de las playas principales, vimos un ave rapaz cerca de una casa-bote, de la que salió un curioso personaje que se puso a darnos conversación. Tenía pinta de ser un chiflado excéntrico vestido con un pareo, una camisa hawaiana y un sombrero de paja decorado con baratijas de plástico. La mitad del tiempo ni nos enteramos de qué estaba hablando, pero sospechamos que no estaba ni la mitad de loco de lo que aparentaba, pero se hace pasar por tal para espantar a los curiosos que se acercan a su casa para burlarse de él, considerándole una atracción local. Con nosotros se mostró amigable porque guardamos cierta distancia con la casa y fue él quién inició la conversación, pero en cambio espantó a un chico que se acercó e intentó unirse a la conversación soltándole una charla que no era más que un puñado de majaderías sin sentido alguno. Más adelante nos enteramos de que se le conoce como “el loco Bob”, ¡pero cuidadito con llamárselo a la cara si os lo encontráis por ahí!

Cuando empezaba a caer la tarde nos fuimos a buscar koalas; es mejor hacerlo a esta hora del día porque es cuando se despiertan y se ponen a
MAGNETIC ISLAND: Sleepy baby / Bebé soñolientoMAGNETIC ISLAND: Sleepy baby / Bebé soñolientoMAGNETIC ISLAND: Sleepy baby / Bebé soñoliento

That is a happy face if ever we saw one ********* Carita de felicidad completa
comer y así es más fácil encontrarlos. El resto del día se lo pasan bien camuflados, sentados sobre la rama de su eucalipto favorito, echándose una siesta de unas 20 horas al día. Su dieta consiste exclusivamente de hojas de eucalipto, pero esto no significa que no sean pejigueros a la hora de comer. Antes de meterse las hojas en la boca, las huelen y rehuelen, y si nos les convence el olor se van a por otra. Tuvimos suerte ese día, pues con la ayuda de otros turistas que ya los habían localizado, encontramos dos mamás con sendos bebés, y en el camino de regreso oímos la llamada de un macho (suena asi) y le vimos en uno de los árboles junto al camino; la verdad es que habríamos pasado de largo sin verle si no se hubiese delatado... Los bebés son las cosas más monas que hemos visto en mucho tiempo, con sus narizotas y sus orejas peludas, son verdaderos peluches, ¡te entran ganas de llevarte uno a casa! Una cosa que nos impresionó fue ver lo vulnerables que son, pasamos varios minutos muy cerca de ellos observándolos y sacando fotos antes de que abrieran sus ojillos soñolientos y nos miraran mostrando sólo un leve interés.

¡Más encuentros animales en el próximo capítulo!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 21; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb