Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Wyndham
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Wyndham
Latest Blogs from Wyndham
- September 6th 2013 Wyndham - our last coastal stop in WA
by Words: 486 Photos: 16
- July 19th 2012 All Bungled out...
by Words: 684 Photos: 13
- July 3rd 2012 North Gibb River Road to Wyndham'
by Words: 557 Photos: 7
- June 15th 2012 Wyndham, WA
by Words: 944 Photos: 18
- June 5th 2012 5 June 2012
by Words: 294 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2012 5 June 2012 (photos)
by Words: 3 Photos: 5
- June 15th 2009 Grotto, You said it !!
by Words: 1601 Photos: 19
- June 14th 2009 You can stick the Kalumburu Road up your A*se
by Words: 2463 Photos: 16
- June 5th 2009 Fitzroy Crossing fables
by Words: 1251 Photos: 6
- June 11th 2008 Wyndham (Tuesday 10th June - Wednesday 11th June)
by Words: 197 Photos: 4
- November 8th 2007 When Push comes to Shovel
by Words: 1152 Photos: 0