Roadtrip 1, Day 5: Pemberton to Walpole


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Walpole
April 11th 2008
Published: May 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

First stop today was a cidery. Del and Rhod sampled some of the scrumpy on offer but driver Drew could only taste the alcohol free stuff. Mind, as a hater of cider I didn't mind too much and I do have to admit that I was easily persuaded into trying some of the unoaked chardonnay which was awesome - we left with a bottle. Next was a woodcraft place that makes everything, including the building itself, out of reclaimed native australian wood which can't be grown sustainably so this is pretty much the only way you'll get something made out of karri, marri or jarrah - the three main types of tree in the south-west. Am I sounding a bit geeky yet? Then it was on to the Gloucester Tree, the tallest fire lookout tree in the world. It's a 61 metre high tree which you can climb to the top of using the metal spikes hammered into its trunk. It's a little scary when you're over 100 feet in the air and the metal spikes you're standing on start to bend but we all got up and down the tree unscathed. When we were back down Rhod and I fed the parrots that were around.

It was then time to head off, via a stop at a place called the Cascades, to Walpole to find the campsite. We had decided to stay at a place called Centre Road Crossing. It was a really nice little area down a dirt road but we were all pretty scared when we saw the little hut that was there complete with chairs and a stove. It seems it's a little camping hut for when it's really cold and/or rainy butwe all thought it was a little bit too Blair witch for our liking.

Rhod was on fire making duties again and we spent the rest of the night round the campfire drinking wine and toasting marshmallows.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb