Australia 2013 - Saturday 9 March to Tuesday 12 March


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
March 11th 2013
Published: March 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We took a one hour and 45 minute flight from Perth to Shark Bay on Saturday.

We stayed at an eco resort called Monkey Mia.

I have been really looking forward to this, as it has a bay where they have been studying and interacting with dolphins for around 40 years.

Every morning some dolphins will come in to be fed, it starts at 8am, and there are 5 female dolphins who are fed, but they bring with them their calves and friends! It is a very strict program so that they are not made dependant, they only get 500 grams of fish up to 3 times in a morning and they need 10 kilos a day so they still have to go hunt. This was introduced when they realised that one female, Nicki, was losing all her calfs because she was getting plenty to eat, so wasn't teaching her young how to fish and survive in the wild. No male dolphins are fed because they use to misbehave, getting too boisterous and biting people. The two oldest females are 36 and 38 years old.

It was really good fun and lovely to be part of.

Next stop back to Perth then a road trip to Wave Rock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

PelicanPelican
Pelican

The pelicans get a yellow bucket of fish to distract them when the dolphins are fed
Derek feeding PuckDerek feeding Puck
Derek feeding Puck

Me in the way


Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb