Shark Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Shark Bay 21st - 25th June

Still trying to chase the sunshine, we headed further up the west coast. We stopped at Hamlin Pools on the way to see the stomatolites - ancient organisms which build up solid 'towers' in the sea. Next stop was Shell beach which was stunning - pure white shells stretch along the whole of the bay. Too cold for a swim though.

Shark Bay was great - First Rob and I went to Monkey Mia, a little resort at the tip of the peninsula which is famous for the dolphins coming close to the shore. They feed the dolphins each morning (only very small amounts to stop them beoming dependent on it). We stood and watched the feeds and I was longing to be picked to feed one of the dolphins. At first I stood politely waiting to be picked, but was ignored. Then I tried a little wave....still ignored. Then I decided to go for it and waved wildly while making embarrassing pleading faces - it worked! Who cares if I made a fool of myself! I got to feed a dolphin called Surprise. It was amazing. We also walked around Monkey Mia, birdwatching, and saw some beautiful zebra finches feeding at a pool.

We went 4x4 driving with Pete and Jan on the Francois Peron National Park - fantastic rich red soil with blue sea in the background - very typical of how you imagine Australia. We spent the day walking around, watching dolphins in the sea below. A great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb