Rockingham / Madora Bay / Coogee, W.A.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Rockingham
July 21st 2011
Published: December 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

24 June - 2 September 2011

It's been a long time between drinks (in writers' terms) and I have just had a brief look over the last few entries and couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness at what is now history. We have seen and done so many amazing things and I am well aware that the enormity of what we are doing on this trip may well not hit home until we actually arrive home, so to speak.

We have heard ourselves say many a time "this is what it's all about" as we take in the stunning scenery, beautiful wildlife and lap up the appreciation of being on the road, away from the daily grind and together as a family just 'being'. But looking back over some of the photos and entries and indulging ourselves in some of the memories of "our big trip" makes me want to just hold onto every moment that bit longer. Nearly a year has passed and that is very difficult to process, until I realise we have clocked up over 30,000kms in our baby. We have been a busy bunch!

So we rolled into Perth in desperate need of landing a serious money-making scheme, but had to settle for the oh-so-boring work. Employment. Now there's a concept we hadn't had to think about for a while.. All in all, I am proud of how we stretched our savings out, considering the ridiculous price of fuel we have come across.

First stop in Perth was a caravan park in Rockingham which we couldn't get out of fast enough. Dodgy deals, weird neighbours and an unsavoury place to have children - need I say more? After a week we found ourselves at a quiet little coastal suburb called Madora Bay. We were lucky enough to stay in a real house with all the luxuries that are usually taken for granted - a solid roof and walls, hot running water, a toilet close by, an oven, a television (the boys became addicted to morning cartoons within a week) - a big thanks to Lisa and family! Things were looking up and Alex started work the same week so we suddenly found ourselves in some sort of routine which was a little strange after floating around for so long. After a week at Madora Bay, we headed further north to Coogee (pronouced Koo Gee over here folks) where we set up camp for the long haul.

So the first couple of months were about working and saving and catching up on "stuff". Alex found himself in a workshop with some pretty cool guys and was happy with the work, although it could be a little heavy at times with long and strange hours. The boys and I kept busy going for bike rides and long walks to lots of different playgrounds.

The best thing about being at Coogee was the close proximity to the Indian Ocean. We could walk a few steps and have the sand between our toes - what more could we ask for?? So we spent as much time at the beach as you can in winter, watching that big ball of fire drop beneath that gorgeous horizon.

Freo was our main haunt on weekends - we just can't go past a good market! Love the whole atmosphere of the place.... Also had a good day out four wheel driving around the Mundaring Weir. Hmmm, now that was interesting in parts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb