TRAYNING TO PERTH


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
July 26th 2013
Published: July 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

From Trayning we continued to Dowerin and moseyed around the town for a while. A nice neat little town with a lovely little bakery. I saw there for the first time in years a tank loaf and horseshoe rolls. The cinnamon buns where the largest I have ever seen and so cheap.

Dowerin also has a lovely second hand bookshop but I managed to leave without purchasing anything tempted as I was. We decided to head out to a camp site about 20 kms north east of Dowerin - Minnivale.

It is a small township which is now reduced to 4 houses and a church. The silos are still intact, which is more than can be said of the bakery. The Shire is developing the camp site to entice travellers to visit the region. Situated next to the unused tennis courts one of the toilets has been converted to a cold water shower (left that alone I can assure you) and one of the septic tanks has been made into a dump point. Tables and chairs have been set in place and some plantings have been done. The aim is to build on the railway heritage of the area. We found it peaceful and a pleasant place to stay. There is an honour box if you want to contribute. We will certainly be back here to stay again.

The only others present were driving a converted bus (called Just Cruisin' Oz) complete with a trailer which I suspect houses the rather dashing red roadster they did their daily driving in. It does need work though. They appeared to have been there for some considerable time.

After we heard news of when Uncle Norms funeral was we moved off planning to stay in either Goomalling or Northam. Both places were full, so we headed to the metropolitan area and ended up in the Discovery Park near Judy and Jims. There are very few caravan parks in Perth and many of them are catering for mainly permanent vans and park homes.

We caught up with Judy and Jim and went to see David Nicole and the granddaughters on Sunday. They have grown so much and are just as lively. Having just returned from Scotland they just don't feel the cold. We all went to the park so the girls could play in the playground, but I think Nicole had just as good a time as she (a fire breathing dragon) battled Sienna (a brave knight) as she was rescuing someone - lord alone knows who. I was unaware that brave knights also used karate moves as part of their repertoire. Sienna had to be told to play fair!

All Tuesday was spent at the funeral and catching up with the extended family. I met people I haven't seen in 35 years. They all kept mixing Judy and I up and as we age we are looking more alike. The best way to tell us apart is I wear glasses, she doesn't.

Wednesday Graham and I wanted a lamb roast, so I went to Judy's and used their oven and we sat down to a wonderful aussie meal. Thursday Judy, Jim, Graham and I all went to my nephew Greg and his partner Victoria's home where he cooked a meal for us all. Aunty Lyn and Coco also came along, so once more it was all about family. Of course Gypsy the dog was there as well. She is lovely, so placid.

Lincoln has grown so much as well and it very bright and intelligent, though a little shy at first.

Friday evening the worst rain we have had since we left home in April and it has been going on for days and getting worse. David, Nicole and the girls came to our caravan park and we headed off to the camp kitchen where we ate the spaghetti and meatballs and salad I had prepared followed by fresh fruit and cheese. Then the surprise birthday cake for David his birthday will be on 31st July. The camp kitchen was a good place to be. Our van is too small, but there we were alone most of the time (only one person for about 10 minutes) and the girls could play whilst the adults spent some time talking.

It continued to pour overnight and we even had some hail. It is still raining now and we need to pack up and get on the road to Richard and Gills. I haven't managed to do the washing, oh well tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



26th July 2013

Nice clean foot!
Sienna is a better photographer than some adults. Is Judy your twin? Have you got a photo of her? One of my sister's and a cousin also have their birthday on the 31st July. All ok here, had rain, couple of lovely days, more rain on the way. All I can think is... great for the garden and a slightly longer, hot shower!
26th July 2013

Twins
No we are not twins, there are 5 or 6 years between us. I don't think I have a photo of her at the moment, I shall snap one when I see her when I return to Perth next.
26th July 2013

Dower in
Love the tin dog. Dower in is where Rob spent so much of his school holidays on the Windsor properties. Those properties have now been bough (years ago) by would you believe the Hollins family who are or we're our neighbours back in Charleson St. The properties were amalgated to the Hollins holdings and are now under the management of eldest son Jarrod. One of Robs cousins still lives in Dowerin in the town. Our ex neighbours leave us today for their relatives in Brissy. For the next week. We have had a fab time catching up but boy are we exhausted. I am not in good shape to tackle the San Diego Trip on Monday, the neck is a horrid problem & the chest is re-surfacing. Enjoy your time with Jill & Richard. Nice photo of Lyn & Coco. The little Italian Prince looks kinda cute !!!!!!!
27th July 2013

Bet you guys had a great time with the family, the grandkids have certainly grown. It is cold and wet here, I am so sick of this weather, but on the up side the crops are looking fantastic.
29th July 2013

Family catchup
Sounds like a good catch up it seems these days it is always at a funeral (age related I think). Would I be correct in assuming that Sienna is a tomboy and Charlie is a princess They have certainly grown. Enjoy your time with them travel safe.
29th July 2013

Tomboy
Actually it is the other way around. Sienna is the one who is more interested in how she looks and is more girly. Even though Charlie loves to dress up in Princess outfits she is the tomboy. She has already been though a car stage, we wait with baited breathe for the next phase.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb