Its hot! here in Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
March 16th 2011
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mike and I made it to the rugby by public transport, a combination of bus and train. Its cheap, easy and very clean but made more complicated by the fact part of the train line was having new points installed. The whole transport system is called 'transperth' and you buy a ticket that includes all the different elements. Even with the line closure we didn't have any trouble and all the staff were efficient and friendly.

The game was a part of the 'Super 15' rugby with teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa competing, so a very good standard with planty of international players. We saw the local Perth team 'Western Force' draw 22 - 22 with the 'Blues' from New Zealand, who had coincidentally travelled on our plane from Jo'Berg, although they had been sitting somewhere more expensive at the front of the plane.

Since we last wrote a blog it has certainly got hot! It has been over 35 most days. We played golf late one afternoon but I gave up after 9 holes as it was just too hot. Mike carried on. He seems to be coping better with the heat then me! Must be my age.

Not wanting to spend too much time indoors we now have a bit of a routine. Up and down the beach... Locals get out early, walking, cycling, jogging along the walk ways by the beach. They stretch for several miles (15ish). So we have joined in. Not up to the jogging but some fast walking followed by a lovely swim in the warmth of the Indian Ocean. All this activity before 10am!!!! The beaches stretch from the city and are fantastic. We have found a sheltered bay with lots of sand below you as you swim, so the sea looks the most amazing colours.

One of the great things about Perth is the facilities in public places. There are showers, toilets, great public BBQs and its all free and clean.

We had a trip north of Perth to a National Park called the Yanchep and walked around a lake, which had dried up apart from a few damp patches. This is bad news for the local freshwater 'oblong' turtles. We saw some birds and our first wild kangaroos. We also saw koalas, tho' these were in an enclosure type place. We were suprised at how large they are; all very sleepy as they are nocturnal.

Mike had an encounter with a red backed spider that was planning to build a nest beneath the garage door. They're not often fatal but being bitten by one is not recommended so not taking any chances Mike squashed it.

As the temperatures are not due to get any cooler for a week or so we have decided to head south for a few days. We are going to the Margaret River area. Although only 300klm the forecast is around 29/30. We are going to a golf resort, with air con and a pool. We should be able to see some wild Dolphins and a few vineyards. We will let you know.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb