1 - 3 May 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth Hills
May 3rd 2012
Published: May 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Plans to head north are on hold just a bit longer as we wait until Friday to get a few running repairs on the van's pop top completed. Still there's plenty to see and do.

On Tuesday we decided to go to the flicks to see The Avengers and all in all a pretty entertaining movie to see on the big screen.

On Wednesday morning we headed up to John Forrest National Park to have a look at what was on offer. For those needing some motivation to get out in the open doors this Park does have a tavern on-site which is a rarity. It was a lovely drive winding through to the area where we decided to take a hike.

We were in the heart of the Park surrounded by bushland but the hiking was made easy as the path lead us along an elevated platform that had once been a railway line. The dry weather over the summer didn't allow us to get the full appreciation from some lookouts over natural falls but it still made for some scenic photos.

The highlight was walking through a train tunnel built by hand in 1895. Although you could see from one end to the other the walk in the tunnel was still very dark and had us at times guessing where we should be walking. The workmanship of the structure was brilliant and makes you think about the hard labour that went into such a feat.

Thursday had us finally getting around to Western Australia's number one tourist attraction, Kings Park and Botanic Garden. From memory the park is set out over 400 hectares and it is amazing that something like this is just a stones throw away from Perth. If you were a local you would be returning again and again as the tranquil surroundings and expanding parks make for an astonishing recreation area. The Park also has an impressive War Memorial that was attended by about 40,000 for the Anzac Day services (the biggest in Australia we were told).


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Kings ParkKings Park
Kings Park

War Memorial
Kings ParkKings Park
Kings Park

Overlooking Perth
Kings Park (3)Kings Park (3)
Kings Park (3)

Another view along the trail
Kings Park (4)Kings Park (4)
Kings Park (4)

Along the trail


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb