CHINA


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

At the Olympic Bird's NestAt the Olympic Bird's NestAt the Olympic Bird's Nest

Rather large space making Roman look rather small
4thMay the beginning of our trip:



We arrived at the airport at 6 am in the morning only to find that our flight was delayed for 3 hours by bad weather in Guangzhou. So after wandering around and having some brekkie courtesy of the CSA (China Southern Airways) and being bored witless, we left at 11.30am. Flight was uneventful, movies were limited to one English and one Chinese for the whole trip (8 hours). All looked ok until we circled Guangzhou airport for a few times and the pilot announced that due to bad weather we were diverting to Shenzhen. Great! So arriving at Shenzhen airport tarmac ( only a few minutes away – near Hong Kong) we remained there for an hour or so until G airport was clear enough for us to have another go. Some people had connecting flights to Europe and were pretty keen to get there on time. Well we got there ok but then a shambles ensued at the airport and we had to go through immigration etc before reboarding our flight. BUT, the bad weather wasn’t going to let us go – as we went from the bus to the plane
Tianenmen SquareTianenmen SquareTianenmen Square

Soldier and Mao
we had a torrential rainstorm, we got soaked and the plane was grounded some more. We ate another meal on the tarmac as we waited for the weather to lift. Finally got to Beijing airport (we were the only flight to arrive and the place was deserted) at 3.40 am. We were supposed to arrive at 9.15 pm the previous night. What a debacle. Finally arrived at Harmony hotel in Beijing at 5 am and in bed by 5.30.







Of course it was impossible to sleep for long and we were up again at 8.30, so we went walk about to see where we were and the neighbourhood. Later explored the metro by going to Tiananmen Square for a quick looksee and returned to the hotel for dinner – which seemed to have lots of offal dishes – seems common here, the meal was delicious even though we had no idea what we ate. We met one of our fellow travellers eating alongside, Jethro who is Australian Chinese (Cantonese) and we organised an excursion the following day to the Summer Palace together.







Sunday: This time, our metro training was quite complex, though we managed with ease – 2 Yuan gets you from anywhere to anywhere in Beijing (that’s about 30c worth). The summer palace was quite beautiful and extensive – we walked around for about 4 hours and also took a boat from one side of the large Kunming Lake to the other, and finally took a break before wending our way home to the meeting with our group.



We went to dinner at a restaurant and the bill which included Peking duck etc, and comprised countless dishes was 64 Y per person - $10. Lots of things I’ve never tasted and very Beijing apparently.







Monday: This morning we breakfasted at a hutong (alley) around the corner from the hotel for 4 Y each for a dim sum type brekkie – very nice too!!



And we toured the Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City – very large and lots and lots of people!!!!! Lunch as usual was very tasty, lots of dishes not tried before (except they brought out sweet and sour pork just for us – tourists) and that cost 28
Kunming LakeKunming LakeKunming Lake

At the Summer Palace
each – by the way, each meal was accompanied by the local tasty beer and soft drinks and Chinese tea. This is the last time I will mention the food prices, though you can see that they are very cheap!

Tuesday the 8th May: The Great Wall of China: Early morning start at the hutong around the corner for brekkie - steamed buns and porridge and then we were off - 3 1/2 hours later we arrived at Jinshaling ready for our walk. It was a wonderful experience, though it was very hot ( we were walking the wall in the middle of the day)and the bits of borken wall were much to experience at times. The sheer magnitude of the wall is inspiring to see ( and walk!!). Again, the trip back took us longer than walking the wall ( especially in Beijing peak hour traffic). A very quick noodle slops dinner - one of our moe expensive meals and not up to the remainder-before heading for bed.



Wednesday:: Off to the Huiling ( a place for disabled adults over 16 and under 40) where we were entertained by the people with a performance of
Roman and Chinese ChildRoman and Chinese ChildRoman and Chinese Child

She wanted a picture with me ( a foreigner, so I asked for hers with Roman
dance and songs before trying our hand at calligraphy, chinese style and finally a dumpling and spring rolls lunch - excellently cooked by the people there who were learning skills. We are checking out tonight and off on our first train trip to Xi'an at 8.30 pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Kite FlyerKite Flyer
Kite Flyer

Kite flying at the Summer Palace seemed to be very popular and this guy's kite was so far away as to be almost impossible to see.
FlautistFlautist
Flautist

Just sitting in the carpark by the Summer Palace playing his music.....
The Summer PalaceThe Summer Palace
The Summer Palace

A glimpse of this huge huge place
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Another place
Great WallGreat Wall
Great Wall

Yoou can see how steep it is.


9th May 2012

Thanks
Hey you two, Thanks for the insight into your travels in China, sounds like you are having a lovely time. Looking forward to the next leg of your travels.
9th May 2012

China Travels
thanks, I was sorry that we aren't going anywhere near Bev - Shanghai is not on our list this time....
1st June 2012

Nyala not kudu
I am most surprised to still get emails regarding this... it has been some years since we went to South Africa, and yes, we know it's not a kudu... thanks to all for pointing this out. Nyala it is!!
9th May 2012

What a bad start with all your weather problems! I'm sure the rest of the trip will be better. Look like good weather for your walk on the wall. Did you go all the way to Simatai? We had snow on the wall the day we did it but blue sky. We are in H K now so not too far from you for a while. Happy adventuring and looking forward to reading more blogs.
12th May 2012

weather
The weather on the wall was HOT!! I had the flu and felt as sick as a dog, and Roman has it now!!
9th May 2012

Happy travelling
Sounds like things picked up after you actually arrived in China. Pizzas in Italy are very good and cheap as is the coffee also.
10th May 2012

china
we know you would enjoy the china experience. shame it was a bad start but that is behind you now. I wish I was eating all the different foods with yous. x
10th May 2012

Travelling is such fun!
Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves and eating lots of (unknown) different things. We're in Washington DC at the moment and also doing lots of walking but not so steep steps - Lincoln Memorial etc. Keep up the photos!
13th May 2012

Great wall, great photos
Looks like you are collecting some great memories! Looking forward to a photo show back home. Miss you on our weekend walks.
13th May 2012

missing you
We are doing plenty of walking - just ask Roman!!
13th May 2012

Hi Lucy and Roman
Hey Guys The photos are so goooood. What a picturesque place. It seems that there are some wide open spaces. I look forward to some more pictures and thoughts. Have a wonderful time.
13th May 2012

China
Thanks Donna - pass on my best to the crew, and we are enjoying ourselves and eating far too much!!
13th May 2012

Off travelling again?!
This time I'm really jealous, on my list of places to go. Sorry you had a bit of a rough start, sounds like things are improving! Looking forward to more interesting reading!
20th May 2012

China
China is great - but you have to be very tolerant of the huge crowds - takes some getting used to. The scenery is exciting but extremely large cities pollute!!
20th May 2012

Joys of travelling
After that start - things can only improve!

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb