Day 9 Perth to Broome - Paraburdoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Paraburdoo
April 21st 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

With our time up in Karijini at an end we packed up camp and started another day of driving to the Pilbarra Region. As per all of the journeys, we stopped at several roadhouses for fuel and comfort breaks. As we were leaving Auks roadhouse Jess pointed out a sign that had a towns name removed leaving an obviously large gap. Apparently the township of Winter noon had been removed from all signs and is no longer recognised as it was evacuated due to the health risks associated with a type of asbestos mining that was the primary industry for the town. We even had the privilege of listening to a song that the Australian band midnight oil released in relation to winter noon!As per a lot of this trip we were travelling along a road called Warloo way which originates back to aboriginal legends and the mountain ranges along the west coast which they believe to be a created by a rainbow snake. At lunch we stopped in Port Headland which is another mining town. With views into the port itself we could see the enormous tankers being fed by the never ending trains of iron ore and other materials before then transporting them onto places to be processed. Whilst we were enjoying the view we also noticed a giant crocodile so will jumped on for a closer look; fortunately it was plastic!Once we arrived at the cattle station in paraburdoo which would be our final stopover before Broome we quickly grabbed our swimming costumes and jumped in the pool with the majority of the group. Having not showered for a couple of days it kind of felt like a communal bath!Having showered and changed it was Wills favourite time of day; dinner time! Tonight was Thai Green chicken curry and Neil was kept very busy demonstrating his skills and the versatility of barbecues! Although all these trips have brought us close to Australia's wildlife tonight we felt particularly close to the insects as they swarmed round the camp lights; we just had to watch out we didn't get any additional unwanted protein in our chicken curry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb