We get to Ningaloo Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Ningaloo Reef
October 24th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ningaloo Reef has been in the news due to attempts to explore for oil next to it. However we first had to travel out of the Pilbara with all of its road trains, mining camps and heavy machinery. On a number of occasions we had to pull off the road in order to let very wide loads get past us.

Exmouth is a strategic centre with an Air force Base, a Naval communications centre and an Army Base. There are huge communication aerial arrays to be seen on the drive.

It was a long drive so we stayed the night in Exmouth Caravan Park. The friendly emu walking around each camp kept everyone entertained. This was the first night for a long time where we actually needed to get out a blanket. In the morning there was a heavy dew caused by the high humidity condensing overnight.

After buying snorkelling gear we headed into the Ningaloo National Park. Camp sites were hard to find and there was not a tree to be seen. Each camp ground had its own camp host who kept the toilet clean and collected camping fees.

Turquoise Bay turned out to be as stunning as the name suggested. A must visit beach and a great spot for a snorkel and a taste of things on offer by the reef. Greg spent some time snorkelling while Joan sat on the beach and was entertained by RAAF planes practicing dog fights in the sky.

In the evening we tried fishing again, with the usual result. However the sunset made it well worthwhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



28th October 2012

Sigh
What a stunning place. Great photos Joan.

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb