Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Ningaloo Reef
Blogs from Ningaloo Reef
Latest Blogs from Ningaloo Reef
- August 5th 2013 Cape Range National Park
by Words: 807 Photos: 25
- October 24th 2012 We get to Ningaloo Reef
by Words: 264 Photos: 10
- August 15th 2012 We love Ningaloo!
by Words: 316 Photos: 8
- August 14th 2012 Our little paradise
by Words: 362 Photos: 10
- August 13th 2012 Camping on the beach at Ningaloo Station
by Words: 1072 Photos: 10
- July 14th 2012 Ningaloo Reef
by Words: 1146 Photos: 16
- April 22nd 2011 Ningaloo Reef Exmouth
by Words: 235 Photos: 65
- July 17th 2010 Whalesharks!
by Words: 820 Photos: 3
- April 3rd 2010 NINGALOO REEF
by Words: 514 Photos: 4
- March 19th 2010 Hot and Sticky
by Words: 2510 Photos: 40
- May 7th 2009 The largest fish in the sea - friend or foe?
by Words: 701 Photos: 3
- March 27th 2009 Nudibranch - naked and nasty!
by Words: 432 Photos: 4
- October 26th 2008 Ningaloo
by Words: 2136 Photos: 10
- September 25th 2008 Turtle Lurtle and the Reef
by Words: 143 Photos: 2
- July 18th 2008 Adventures from 18th June - 18th July.
by Words: 404 Photos: 39
- June 17th 2008 Videos from Ningaloo Reef
by Words: 39 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2008 Ningaloo
by Words: 1058 Photos: 8
- June 4th 2008 ....and Whale Sharks!!!
by Words: 1924 Photos: 45
- March 19th 2008 Ningaloo Reef
by Words: 188 Photos: 29
- December 1st 2007 Ningaloo Reef - Still Not at the Top!!
by Words: 803 Photos: 7