Day 9 Adelaide to Perth - Margaret River


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a rather damp night in tents we completed the all too familiar routine of packing up the bus, then we headed into the Southern Forests to see the Diamond Tree. Standing over 50m tall with a lookout platform at the top the Karri tree is one of the only few remaining active look out posts the rangers still use to spot fires. The questions you're probably asking yourself is how do you get up the tree? Well it used to be via wooden pegs, although after a falling branch wiped out a significant portion leaving a ranger stranded up the top they decided to use metal pegs. From the pictures you'll see this is still a precarious climb! Due to the slippery conditions we were only allowed a few meters up.

The next stop was Cane Break Damn where we had a quick walk round the tranquil lake before heading back in the bus!

Simmo then drove us to Beedlup falls, although despite the previous nights rain there wasn't enough water fall flowing so it's probably more appropriately named the Beedlup Rocks. After a quick walk round it was back aboard the bus and off to the coast and Cape Leeuin. As the most Southerly point of Australia its where the Indian and Southern Ocean meet. There is a lighthouse on the cape, although its now private property and they charge an exorbitant amount to look round so we passed and settled with admiring the extremely choppy seas. Still remaining close to the light house is a water wheel used in its construction, although the exposure to the elements has seen a mineral crust form around the wooden structure.

With our surf lesson cancelled earlier in the tour we were hoping to hit the waves at Margret River beach, although due to a recent nearby shark attack and the choppy seas it was cancelled, but there was still a crazy kite surfer enjoying the conditions as we looked out from the viewing area. Simmo informed us that there had been a controlled bush fire in the area recently that got out of control causing a lot of damage to residents property.

Continuing along the coast we came to Canal Rocks. With the large swells continuing it made for spectacular viewing as the waves crashed through making for great photos!

Next up was a stop we were eagerly waiting for; Palmers Winery! After several tastings and insights into the winery we were both agreed that we like wine even more so bought a bottle to have with our last camp dinner!

With the fear of more rain we set up a giant tent made from two large tarpaulins; The Tarpmahall, for our dinner and night of camping together!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb