Margaret River to Fremantle


Advertisement
Published: April 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Margaret River to Fremantle & around



Along our journey up the western coast from Margaret River, we stopped at Busselton to check out the longest wooden piled jetty in the southern hemisphere. It was an amazing 1840 metres in length, now used only for recreation. We explored the beach and its surrounds for a few hours, then continued on to Honeymoon Pool after fuelling up at Busselton Caltex – 81.6L @ 1.489 with a docket.
This little camping spot was a gem - $14 unpowered for the night, not far from Wellington Dam; with a beautiful clear stream right in front of our camp. It reminded us so much of the river at Bright – only several degrees warmer in the evening!
The next couple of days we spent exploring more of the coast, including Mash Brewery at Bunbury, followed by Little Creatures Brewery in Fremantle.
Somewhere in the middle there, we camped at Waroona Dam - $14 unpowered site for the night. Of course this dam sounded good (on the map anyway), only once we’d arrived we found it to be around 2%!f(MISSING)ull – oh well... how’s the serenity!
Fremantle Eshed markets were a bit disappointing (except for the Carvery where we dined for lunch) – the historic markets were MUCH better – with plenty of fresh fruit and veg as well as some cup cape delights.*Note to self – will try to make these at home when I have an oven – they look FANTASTIC!
We went on a tour of Fremantle Prison, seeing some of the worst living conditions in Australia in which a prisoner has been accommodated. Not at all like the current Prison system – with internet, x-boxes and a paid wage. Leaves us wondering how these people would have coped back in the day when you stole something and your sentence was either hard labour or in some cases overseas, the swift removal of the offending hand.
Anyway, the tour was informative and we retired to our Tourist Village caravan park to enjoy some Muscat from Margaret River and make the most of having showering facilities and running toilets!
We plan to explore Perth in the next few days before continuing North.

434.4km’s this leg of the journey
Total km’s so far this trip 6766.7km



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



21st April 2011

Hello from Deniliquin
We are leaving for Ballarat for Easter, with your Mother in her new car, we don't know who's coming yet, perhaps Shaun. A bridal book came out the other day, and it had Stephen and his wife in it.I will keep it for you. I think Osker is coming to Ballarat Have a great Easter Love Nana and Popxxx

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb