Millstream-Chichester to Marble Bar


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Marble Bar
June 15th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, June 14th, we left Karijini early and drove towards Munjina Roadhouse. The road around there is very scenic, very close to dramatic hills with chunky red tops. Past Munjina, we drove along the Hamersley Ranges towards Wittenoom (the almost-ghost-town). The road passes close to the town and we could see a number of houses still there. There is an asbestos warning sign prior to the town.



We continued on to the Millstream-Chichester National Park, and had a look at the Millstream homestead and the lovely pool and lush vegetation around it. We had a swim in the Fortescue river from Deepreach Point (a very good access point for swimming) before camping at the Stargazers campground. A few things had been shaken in the camper during the day's drive, which had been quite a lot of gravel road, some of it a bit rough. But no damage.



Today we left our campsite and drove through the Millstream-Chichester National Park. We scrambled up the Mt Herbert lookout which gives a great view of the surrounding hills. We had morning tea at Python Pool, a pool at the bottom of a very dramatic red cliff. We then drove on past more striking hills, these ones very dark browny red (volcanic origins).



We went into South Hedland and had lunch at the shopping centre. We were kind of surprised that there was only one food outlet in the centre (that we found) although plenty of fast food nearby. I noticed the high school (which I attended for two years) is getting a facelift and that the former hostel has been gutted. Also a big new recreational stadium is being built. South Hedland is generally looking a bit tidier than when I was there in the 80s but not really my cup of tea. We did a bit of shopping, fueled and aired up and headed off towards Marble Bar. We bought Alex three books, and just now (less than half a day later) he has advised me he has finished.... not one, but all of them.



We arrived in Marble Bar in the afternoon, and checked into the caravan park as we decided it was time to use hot showers and the washing machine. We had time for the boys to have a quick dip in Marble Bar Pool (bit cool for
Dawn Dawn Dawn

Stargazers campground, Millstream
me), and have a drive around town before dark. Today's travels seem to have damaged the waste water outlet pipe for the camper sink, but Mike thinks it should be easy enough to replace and in the meantime a bucket will work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Boys on Mt HerbertBoys on Mt Herbert
Boys on Mt Herbert

Millstream-Chichester National Park
View of our vehiclesView of our vehicles
View of our vehicles

From Mt Herbert, Millstream-Chichester National Park
Sturt's Desert PeaSturt's Desert Pea
Sturt's Desert Pea

Millstream-Chichester National Park


15th June 2012

Your blog
looking forward to reading your blog Sal and seeing all your great photos! What an amazing 4 months you guys are going to have xxx happy and safe travels... Gail

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb