Catch Up - Uluru to Lake Argyle


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

UluruUluruUluru

Camel rides at dusk.



To all our blog followers: We have now uploaded many photos on previous Blog Entries if you wish to go back over them and view the photos.

BIG BLOG CATCH-UP

Leaving the Red Centre.





Well here we go it’s Monday the 12th June and we are “ On the road again”. We left Ayers Rock (Uluru) around 9-am and headed back to Alice Springs where we had rebooked the same van park for a couple of nights before our long journey to Darwin. We called into the Earlunda Roadhouse as Alan and Wayne needed fuel. We travelled for about 350ks and had a lunch stop at the Stuarts Well Roadhouse, made famous because of “Dinky the singing Dingo”. After lunch the owner of the joint - Jim, got Dinky up for us and put on a show. Well it was hilarious, the dog jumped up on the piano banged the keys and started howling - it was amazing. We took a video and some photos, we will put onto the Blog (sometime very soon hopefully).

Arriving back in Alice around 3-pm and
Sue's AdventureSue's AdventureSue's Adventure

Sue gets adventurous and takes off with a handsome chopper pilot.
set up on our camp sites. We had chosen our own sites this time and got nice sunny and grassy spots. The sites we had last time were too shaded and it’s so damn cold here.





Jim and Wayne had booked their cars into the Toyota dealership in town for 5000 k services on the Tuesday morning. Toyota recommend that an intermediate oil and filter change be carried out at 5000km intervals when towing. After they dropped the cars off Alan drove us all out to the ”Desert park” for a look it’s wildlife park. All very well done - in a natural state. At 10am they have bird feeding - we made that on time and enjoyed a really good show – birds of prey flying in on cue. We also have pictures of that for the Blog.

Leaving there around 12 o’clock and we went into Alice for some lunch and grocery shopping. Lunch was at a nice restaurant (it was like you were in a restaurant in Melbourne rather than in Alice Springs). Jim and I called Kerry to wish her a happy Birthday.

We headed back for the Van
Sounds of Silence DinnerSounds of Silence DinnerSounds of Silence Dinner

Sue, Wayne and Gaile.
Park around 3 o’clock after collecting the newly serviced cars, got a few jobs done, had happy hour and dinner and went to bed.

Well we got up early next morning and left Alice around 8-30am.

Our overnight stop was in Wauchope (pronounced Warhope). It’s another Roadhouse - very well maintained and tonight is “State of Origin” no TV in the vans, no reception so we booked into the Restaurant for dinner and watched the “State of Origin” at the bar after dinner, I have never watched a footy game in a Bar before - it was quite funny.

We lost, never mind we will see what happens in the decider.

We left Wauchope early again by around 8am this time, we weren’t sure where to stop for the night but we wanted to get as close to the Daley Waters Hotel as possible because we had been told it fills up with Caravanners really early. We pushed on had a stop outside Banka Banka station for some lunch and carried on. We checked in our camps book for somewhere to stay and the Midlands van park in Elliott sounded pretty good, well normally you just
Dinky the singing DingoDinky the singing DingoDinky the singing Dingo

The famous singing dingo performs for us at Stewarts Well Roadhouse.
wouldn’t stay in Elliott anyway, but the time was getting on so we stopped there, OMG it was worse than Ti Tree and that’s saying something, like in Ti Tree I wouldn’t use the toilets or showers but neither would Jim this time so it must have been pretty bad, these places seem to have lots of frogs in the Loo’s and they say snakes love frogs. So guess where the snakes hang out for dinner?

We had an uneventful night thank goodness, and we left Elliott before 8-am this time, and that is pretty good going for Jim and I.

We only had to travel 149ks today” Hooray” we arrived at Daley Waters at 9-30 am we were the first to book in and order our dinner. You need to order your dinner on arrival or you miss out. Their signature dish is Beef ‘n’ Barra and that’s what everyone orders.

Well we set up, had a lovely shady spot and that is good because the temperatures are warming up now, thank goodness, had enough of those cold days and nights.

We caught up on some more washing and also rested up a bit. We
Daly Waters PubDaly Waters PubDaly Waters Pub

A must experience.
had a nice salmon and salad for lunch and a look around the “town” - one small Pub and a small lean-to shop opposite, the Hartners and Lecks all had a swim in the pool still a bit too cool for Jim and me. Didn’t want to risk freshening up his illness still not real well.

We all met in the Garden bar around 5-15pm for drinks and dinner which had been booked for 6-pm. We were called up right on 6 o’clock. They cook the steak and Barramundi on the BBQ and have a lovely salad bar which includes some really nice damper - we all really enjoyed our dinner.

We waited until the entertainer started at 7-30pm, we were tempted to leave as we had been there quite a while and we don’t have as much staying power as we used to.

We are so glad we stayed and watched the whole show the Entertainer “Chilli” was absolutely brilliant, like Wayne said you would normally pay good money to see a Guy like him elsewhere. He was a Comedian and Singer - more photos for the Blog.

We left Daley Waters around 9-am next
Mindl Beach MarketsMindl Beach MarketsMindl Beach Markets

Sun setting over western sky at markets in Darwin.
morning our next stop Katherine. ”Wow” this place has changed since Jim and I were here in 1998 - a lot bigger, and a reasonably tidy town, not to many of “them” up this way.

We only had 273ks to travel to Katherine so we stopped at Mataranka Springs for a look at the thermal pools and had some lunch, then onto Katherine - got here around 2-30pm I think, checked into and set up our sites. Really nice shady sites again - the temps up around the 30’s now “yum”.

After dinner Wayne and Gaile and Jim and I went to the Bistro in the camp for dessert we shared in a bowl of Mango and ice cream “yum Yum” and watched a bit of the entertainer he wasn’t too bad, but nowhere near good as ”Chilli” though. A lot of these parks seem to have entertainment these days, obviously to attract the travellers.

The Leck’s and Hartner’s went on a trip up the Katherine George – we had done it in 1998 so did bother to do it again.

There was a lady in the camp who was a hairdresser - so Gaile and
Mr CrocodileMr CrocodileMr Crocodile

Don't smile.
I both got haircuts and Gaile had hers coloured. We were both pleased with the results. She was also the head chef at the camp ground Bistro and thought Wayne look like” John Wayne “ (the Actor). Another man in the camp thought he looked like “Anthony Quinn”

We enjoyed a dinner at the Camp Bistro the night before we left. The entertainer that night was a pretty good Guitarist - he plain acoustic and electric we did enjoy his music as he played a lot of tunes we like.





Well it’s now 4am I have been at this since 2-30am so best go back and see if I can get some more sleep Cheers.

Thanks so much for your comments we really love them, keep them coming.





Jim’s comments:

For the Blokes and technically minded some stats.

So far we have travelled 6191km

Averaged 19.9 L/100Km

Average fuel price $1.65/Litre (Helped by not having to fuel up at Uluru where the cost of diesel is over $2.00/ Litre. I was able to Travel from Alice Springs – Uluru – Alice without refuelling –
Jim Jim FallsJim Jim FallsJim Jim Falls

And gets up in time to have his photo taken.
900km.)

Average fuel cost $32.82/ 100km.





Katherine to Kakadu via Darwin.



We left Katherine on Tuesday the 19th June. Our next stop for a few days was Howard Springs - around thirty kms out of Darwin.

We left reasonably early the next morning and headed for Adelaide River Inn for lunch. This place is the home of Charlie the Buffalo from the “Crocodile Dundee” movies. Jim and I saw him in 1998 very much alive – but this time he was Stuffed and standing on the bar.

We had lunch Jim and I had Barra burgers not as good as we have had before.

We left there for just a short drive to Howard Springs big 4 Van park the park was OK - a bit scruffy. But the best facilities in the way of toilets and showers.

There are a lot of Bats in these parts and we had lots of Bat sh*t on our awning and caravan roof - so they had to have a good wash down before we left.

We did a trip into Darwin the next day - gee
Sue at Jim Jim FallsSue at Jim Jim FallsSue at Jim Jim Falls

Cooling off my feet.
has it changed since our last visit 14 years ago very big and has a lovely waterfront precinct. We had morning coffee there then went back to park after a look around and had some lunch.

Alan had another service done on his cruiser in Darwin. The day of the car service we did some shopping at the Casaurina shopping centre then carried on to pick up Alans car and visit the Mindl beach sunset markets. Boy what a busy place that is, pretty much your usual market stuff but a lot more food stalls which were really busy. It was a bit of a wait for something to eat and it was a bit so so on quality - a lot of Asian stalls. We then went onto the beach as the sun was setting. I have never seen so may people on a beach before - it was amazing and the most beautiful sunset.





We left Darwin on Friday the 22nd - a day earlier than planned. Stopped at the “Bark Hut” for lunch where we had buffalo pies – yummy. We set up at the”Kakadu Lodge” Van park at Jabiru- a
Jim in Jim Jim FallsJim in Jim Jim FallsJim in Jim Jim Falls

Jim Falls in water at Jim Jim Falls
really nice shady park with lovely green grass - but the facilities leave a lot to be desired.

We did a trip out to Ubirr - an Aboriginal Art site where we climbed some rocks to get a lovely view of the wetlands. Most of the places have only just opened in here after the wet season so we are pretty lucky to be able to see such a lot of special places. On our way back to camp we booked into the Crocodile Hotel for Dinner that night. This was a Buffet for $45 per head which was really great - we had a lovely dinner.

The next morning we were up early (gee I need a rest) and off on a Sunrise cruise at Yellow Waters but we had to travel around 50ks to get there before 6-45am - we made it with time to spare had a great cruise really beautiful scenery plus lots of Croc’s and Bird life all be it a bit B----y cold. I was very pleased I had my Melbourne Duffal coat in the car, Breakfast was included in the price which was hot buffet - we were all glad of
Access to Jim Jim FallsAccess to Jim Jim FallsAccess to Jim Jim Falls

Not an easy pathway to Jim Jim Falls. On a few occasions it was Sue Sue Nearly Falls.
that.

After breakfast we headed back to Jabiru.

Jim and I had taken our own car today as we wanted to visit the Jim Jim falls - they were only opened in the last couple of days and we missed seeing them last time because it was still too wet to get in. We had to travel down a corrugated gravel road for about 50ks but it wasn’t too bad. It can’t have been that bad as I fell asleep on the drive. We then had to travel on a four wheel drive track for about 10 kms - that was great also - beats all the boring long straight roads for a change. Went through a few mud spots and small water crossings but nothing too difficult at all. We did take a few photos for the Bog - I keep saying that don’t I.

Well we got to the start of the walk to the Falls and after reading that it was very challenging walk over rocks and boulders I said to Jim I don’t know that I can do that. But I knew I would have had a 3 hour wait in the car
Termite Mounds Termite Mounds Termite Mounds

Not the biggest one we saw.
if I didn’t do it, and yes it was very challenging but I am really glad that I did it. I don’t think I have been to a more tranquil place - the falls were spectacular and the ponds below were so crystal clear. The only way to this pace was to clamber over these rocks and boulders - it was like you were in another world. We sat there for about 45mins and Jim had a swim - it was freezing. I cooled my feet off. We left there feeling exhausted but so very glad we had made the effort, When we got back to the Van at around 5 0clock I had a shower and went straight to bed, I couldn’t even make dinner so it was half of a peanut butter sandwich each.





25th June

It’s Wayne’s birthday today. Gaile bought us down a cream bun for morning tea and we took him a card and a stubby cooler. We will have a drink with him tonight.

I got breakfast in bed this morning, which was lovely and I finally got out of bed at about 9-15 am. We have
Lake Argyle Sunset CruiseLake Argyle Sunset CruiseLake Argyle Sunset Cruise

Gaile, Jane and Sue.
had a pretty quiet day today I watched the channel seven midday movie first time since we have started our travels that I’ve done that - haven’t had the time. I also cooked up the vegies I have had in my fridge and put them in the freezer as you can’t take fresh fruit or vegies into WA and they are really strict about that. They will search your van at the border.

Well at least I have now caught up on the Blog and we are leaving here tomorrow headed for the West.







Kakadu to Kununurra via Lake Arglye

26th June



We left Kakadu Lodge Van Park at 7-45 am, amazing Jim and I were first to leave but we did have to do a dump run and buy some fresh bread before we left town.

That done we headed for Pine Creek, trailing, as the others had gone past us while we were dumping. We travelled the 301ks to Katherine over ever-changing landscapes including a few unexpected hills and winding roads. At one stage I said ‘geez’ looks like we are in the Blue Mountains. Before Katherine we stopped at Pine Creek at around 10-45 am and stopped at Maysees café for morning coffee were we met the Hartners and the Lecks.

We arrived in Katherine about an hour later, fuelled up and Jim went into Repco for a pin for the tow hitch as ours had dislodged itself during our trip to Jim Jim falls. He also bought some windscreen repair stuff, we all have damaged windscreens now. We didn’t bother with any shopping in Katherine so Jim and I got a head start on the others. We headed for Kununurra and now we are on “a road not travelled before” for Jim and I for the first time since leaving home.

We arrived at our overnight stop at around 3pm - the Victoria River Roadhouse ($20 dollars a night for a powered site with water if you can find one). We found one and luckily Jim has some double adapter water hose fittings so we hooked into our neighbours water supply. Lecks parked next to us, we are almost on top of each other but it doesn’t matter as it’s only one night, the Hartners are a
Lake ArgyleLake ArgyleLake Argyle

Reflections
bit further away eventually finding a powered spot, it’s such a higgledy piggledy place all up and down dale as well. With a bit of manoevering and good placement of chocks we got settled in. Hartners and Lecks are having to use their water tanks though.

We sat around for our happy hour and during that time found out some of our neighbours are Kiwis and doing a second trip around OZ. They have come over for about three months and after chatting for a while we found out that the where from Auckland. One of the couples knew people that the Hartners knew and the other couple new people that the Lecks knew. How small is this world? The other couple whom we crowded out were Aussies from Tallebudgera on the Gold Coast.

Before leaving Kakadu we had cooked up what was left of our fresh fruit and vegies as they are very strict about taking that stuff through the WA border. All of that is now cooked and frozen.

It’s now 2am we went to be bed at 8pm so I have woken early again,

A good time for Blogging.



Progress MapProgress MapProgress Map

Trip so far.


Lake Argyle

Wednesday 27th June



Yes I know it’s not on the Itinerary but we were told by a few of people that it was worth the trip. After phoning ahead to the place we had booked into at Kununurra we changed our booking so that we could spend a few days here - plus we were a day ahead of schedule.

We left Victoria River Roadhouse around 8 o’clock Jim and I were first to leave again we had about 300ks to travel. We had a good run - had a stop at a rest area just before the border check point - it was really funny everyone was walking around eating apples getting rid of their last pieces of fruit before crossing over to WA. We were wondering - out of three of us - who might get pulled over and have their vans checked. We got quite a surprise when we realized that they go through everyone’s cars and vans, we passed with flying colours - that took about 10minutes each.

We took off and not far down the road from the checkpoint was the Lake Argyle turnoff we had another 35ks to travel. Thought we should get there as early as we could because we were a day earlier than we had booked for. They had no sites available for us so they put us up into overflow where we had power and water which was fine - we were just a little close together. Hartners arrived not long after us, but it was a while after that we noticed the Lecks weren’t here yet. Yes - they had missed the turnoff - they went on for another 10ks or so, but eventually got here and no harm done.

This place is beautiful - a really nice Van park with fabulous views of the Lake - all be it just a small view. The Lake has a volume of water that is 20 times more than that of the Sydney Harbour. We have booked a Sunset cruise on Saturday arvo so cannot wait to see some more of it. This is a man made lake in North East of WA.

We have been here for 3 days now it’s a really good place to chill out although we have had plenty of things to do. As I said previously - Jim bought a windscreen repair kit in Katherine when we passed through, so yesterday he spent a lot of the day repairing our windscreen. He also repaired the Lecks and the Hartners and the Lecks neighbours. We suggested jokingly he should start up a business, put a sign on the van, windscreens repaired.

I did some cleaning and washing on Thursday and then on Friday I made some bread rolls a fruit Loaf and some raspberry muffins. I also decided to get the Cobb out and cook our leg of lamb and vegies for dinner.

At about 4-30 we took some pickies, some drinks and our chairs over to where we could view the sunset on the hills that surround the Lake. The park has a beautiful infinity pool - it looks spectacular with the lake as a backdrop.

It gets dark around 5-30 here so we packed up and went back to our roast lamb dinner - it was yum. We cleaned up and were in bed around 7-30. The TV is crap here - we can only get 1 channel - it’s 7 and very poor reception. We only really have it on to watch Sunrise in the morning - there is not much else on and last night there was only the AFL on - so I put on a DVD Bill gave us it is called Warlords. It’s about Hitler, Stalin etc. I watched a bit of it but got too tired so will have to finish watching it another time. I only have one other set of DVD’s a Billy Connelly collection that belongs to Nan. I forgot to bring more so hopefully I can get Denise to send me some. She is sending me a show to catch up on. I should get that when we get back to Kununurra. It’s now 4-45 am up early again - have probably had enough sleep. I had a coughing fit so I got up - I got myself a bit of a cold including a sore throat so not feeling so great just now. But as they say I will soldier on.

I forgot to mention the day after we arrived here they transferred us into the caravan park proper and our amenities changed so I asked Jim where they were exactly. He pointed in a direction - this was just on dusk after we had had a walk around the park (which incidentally was the old camp for the workers on the dam construction).

I went into the toilets and upon walking out (I must have walked in with my head down) I noticed something on the wall and I read a sigh above it that said “Do not empty porta loo’s into urinal” Oh! Oh! I was in the men’s toilets - just as well no one was in there because I would have had to walk right passed them on my way out.





30th June



Today we did our Sunset cruise on the lake. We were picked up by the coach at 2-15 pm for the short drive to where the cruise boats leave from. We set off - the coach driver was also our Skipper and Barman. After about 15mins out he put out the afternoon tea of homemade fruit cake, really lovely homemade chocolate chip biscuits tea, coffee and soft drinks. It was all very nice - we had a great trip around the lake. Saw a lot of Croc’s (Freshies), some bird life. We also got a real incite into the Dam construction and history of the family who originally owned the property. He took us into lovely bays and out into the open waters he also pointed out where the Argyle diamond mine was. We were also shown some kangaroo’s that we didn’t know existed - they are called Wallaroo’s and Euro’s. He manoeuvred the boat real close to the rocks and threw these animals some pellets which he said they love.

As the sun was starting to set we moved away from there and out into more open water he cut the engines and said we could swim here, no takers from our little group though. About ½ a dozen people did brave it, the cold water and the Croc’s were a bit of a deterrent I think. Graeme (the Skipper) then set out cheeses, crackers, pate dips etc. and some beer and wine - it was really nice. It was enough that Jim and I didn’t need any dinner except for a bit of dessert when we got back.





Wikipedia Extract:

Lake Argyle, together with Lake Kununurra, is part of the Ord River Irrigation Scheme. There are currently some 150 square kilometres of farmland under irrigation in the East Kimberly region. The original plan was for dam water to irrigate rice crop for export to China. However these plans were scuttled as waterfowl, particularly magpie geese ate rice shoots quicker than they could be planted. Other crops are now grown, but Lake Argyle still remains Australia's most under-utilized lake.





Well tomorrow we are back on the road again heading just 70ks to Kununurra.

Advertisement



1st July 2012

Re- your trip !
Hiya Sue & Jim , Enjoy reading your blog always but especially this time with you all being in NT . Allan & I travelled that direction back in 1996 in our short wheel base Toyota 70 series , we attended a Survey Conference . After that we then with our tent travelled to all the places you've just seen , even your Water Falls Jim , the Jim Jim Falls , fabulous were'nt they . Sue with you mentioning the WA border , back in 1978 Allan & I travelled to Perth in our ' well-travelled ' Kombi & the bloody inspectors at the boarder had confescated my Happy Plant that I had nurtured all the way from Qld , Allan thought it a big joke . But anyway guys you really ARE all having the time of your life lucky beggers . Jim , you appear to have lost some weight with the illness that attacked your body , take it easy . Sue , glad to hear your using the Cobb Cook & loving it , do you use it alot ?? Both Allan & I are gradually getting things organised for our Patriot SE Sunland which , with luck , will be ready end of NEXT MONTH ....... Yippeeee ! We are planning to take a week off when picking up the Patriot & " practise " our vanning skills ......... First port of call is ................... wait for it ................. Bribie Island ......... then we'll head Nth of the week . Thinking of you both & look after yourselves . Love Monika & Allan . xxx
2nd July 2012

Uluru to Lake Argyle
Hi everyone, was wondering the other day how the big trip was going, obviously fantastically. Bob and I have both enjoyed reading what you have all been up to, and look forward to reading more in the future. Hope you are all keeping well and everything is going like clockwork. Happy birthday to Wayne hope it was a great day. Bob and Sue
2nd July 2012

Hi
Well Jim and Sue you are now in the Kimberly which is our favourite place, Enjoy ! Travel Safe and we love receiving your blogs Cheers Garry and Joy
8th July 2012

kiwi travelers
Happy birthday wayne,hope you had a ripper.The photos were just great what a fabulous time your having.interesting reading almost like been there with you all.The rate yous are going you will back home next week ha.Looking foward to your next chapter,take care regards to all mike & Vaughan..

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb