Onslow to Coral Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
September 13th 2006
Published: September 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

OnslowOnslowOnslow

Onslow Salt Conveyor System
Day 55 Onslow to Exmouth 23/08/06

As we had had such a big day yesterday, we slept in until about 7.30am. We got up, had breakfast and packed up. We walked down onto the beach and had a look around before driving back into town. We then drove out to the Onslow Salt works and had a look at the conveyor system they use to transfer the salt to the ships. After having a look at Sunset and Four Mile Beaches we drove back into town. After Leanne phoned Melbourne to check on her mother, as she had been admitted to hospital, (Marie is okay and on penicillin) we headed back out to the Highway and south toward to Exmouth. We arrived back at Nanaturra at 11.50am, where we refueled ($183.9 Lt) and had lunch. After lunch, we drove onto to Exmouth arriving around 3.00pm. As we had booked in at the Lighthouse Caravan Park, which is 17k’s north of the town, we decided to get there and set up first before checking out the visitor centre and the town.

After setting up, we headed back to Exmouth at around 4.15pm. We checked out the Visitor Centre and then
ExmouthExmouthExmouth

Turquoise Bay
bought some groceries at the IGA supermarket. As we were returning to our park, I was very fortunate not to be caught by ‘the boys in blue’ who luckily, had their radar gun trained in the opposite direction! Back at camp, we had a nice BBQ dinner before turning in for the night.

Day 56 Exmouth 24/08/06

We awoke around 7.00am and got up about 7.20am. While I got breakfast going, Leanne got some much needed clothes washing underway. After breakfast, I did some blog while the boys did their diary work. Around 11.00am, we prepared some lunch and then drove about 50k’s to Turquoise Bay, for an afternoon of snorkeling and swimming on Ningaloo Reef. We walked onto the drift beach and could immediately see the flow of water that carries you across the reef. After setting all our gear down on the beach, we gathered our snorkels and flippers and walked to the southern end of the beach. We drifted along with the fast moving current over the reef and saw various corals, fish and other sea animals, it was fantastic. As we had been warned of the possible heavy currents at the point, we swam
ExmouthExmouthExmouth

Emu wandering around Caravan Park
back to the beach well before it. Again we walked back to the southern end and entered the water. This time we ventured out a little further into the water and saw even more coral and colourful varieties of fish. Once we neared the point, we swam back to the beach for lunch. After eating, we waited a while before swimming the drift again. As the tide had receded considerably and the flow reduced, we swam out further and were closer to the coral. This time we spent about 35mins drifting along the reef, before returning to the beach. We gathered our gear and walked around the point into Turquoise Bay, where the boys swam and played in the sand while Leanne and I relaxed in the sun. At about 4.15pm we returned to the car and drove back into Exmouth itself. We went to ‘What Scooters Internet Café and Booking Agency where I published 2 blogs, while Leanne checked and answered our e-mails. As Leanne had finished well before me, she and William walked into the shopping centre and Daniel and I picked them up later, after completing our blogs.

We drove back to the Lighthouse Caravan Park
Exmouth 3Exmouth 3Exmouth 3

Vlaming Lighthouse
and retrieved all the dry washing from the line. After cooking and eating dinner, we walked to the Lighthouse Restaurant where the boys had milk shake /smoothie and Leanne and I had a crepe each with a cuppa, which was very nice! By the time we had finished these it was around 9pm. We returned to the trailer and after showers all-round, it was off to bed, after another great day.

Day 57 Exmouth 25/08/06

We awoke to another fine morning and got out of bed around 7.30am. After eating breakfast, while the boys did some diary, we prepared some lunch for our day on the beach. We left the park around 9.20am and drove up to the Vlaming Lighthouse Lookout. From here you have an almost 360 degree view of the area. We were fortunate enough to see some whales playing in the distant waters. The boys had a look through the pay binoculars and spotted two oil rig platforms on the horizon, one of which was huge! From here we drove down along the coast to the Milyering Visitors Centre. After a look around and gathering some pamphlets and info, we had morning tea in
Exmouth 4Exmouth 4Exmouth 4

Snorkeling at Sandy Bay
the café.

Leanne had been told that ‘the Oyster Stacks’ were well worth snorkeling; however we found a notice in the Visitors Centre that said the access road was closed due to road works. Upon asking, we were advised you could park at North Mandu and walk back the 300 metres along the beach to access this site. However, when we arrived, the south westerly wind was blowing hard and the water looked far too dangerous for us. So we jumped back in the car and drove back to Sandy Bay. The water here was more protected from the wind and after a swim and snorkel we had lunch. We saw a few turtles, from the beach, swimming with the current but were unable to snorkel with them. After more swimming, snorkeling and sand castle building, the boys decided they would like to return to Turquoise Bay. After drying off and packing up, we drove back to Turquoise Bay where we remained until about 4.30pm. Here the water was clearer and coral more plentiful and we were fortunate to swim with a large turtle which was awesome.

At around 4.30pm we headed back to the park where we
Exmouth 5Exmouth 5Exmouth 5

Camp Site at Light House Caravan Park
all had showers. While we prepared a dinner of burritos, the boys did some diary work. After peach slices for dessert, we did the dishes and headed into the tent. Then Leanne read the boys some ‘Harry Potter’ while I caught up with this blog. Shortly after it was lights out after another enjoyable day in WA.

Day 58 Exmouth to Coral Bay 26/08/06

We awoke around 7.30am and got up shortly after. As soon as we had breakfast finished, the pack up started. It was only then we realized the trees we were camped under had dropped sap all over the tent roof, annex and the car. As there was little we could do, we swept the pine like needles off the roof and packed up. By 9.40am we were driving out of the Lighthouse Park and heading for Exmouth. We topped up with fuel and then drove to the Visitors Centre where we refilled the water tank, in the trailer, at the free drinking water tap in their car park. We went back into town and to buy some needed groceries, when we caught up with Paul Shepard from Portland, the family we met at Wilpena
Exmouth 6Exmouth 6Exmouth 6

William by the Whale Shark
Pound last year. They had only arrived in Exmouth this morning, staying 2 nights at Yardie Station Caravan Park. As there next stop is Coral Beach, we will meet up there in 3 days time. From what Paul was saying, their trip has been exciting and enjoyable. It was interesting to hear that the bike rack mount on their Tru Blu trailer broke right off, 2 weeks into their trip, destroying their bike rack and damaging the bikes. Paul explained the bikes have traveled on the roof rack since! While we were near a phone box, Leanne phoned her mum and confirmed she was home and feeling better.

As mentioned earlier, the car was covered in sap, so I made enquiries about a car wash around town. I found out the Big 4 Caravan Park had a car wash bay and as it turned out it cost me $5 to wash the car on their lawn. Luckily, the tree sap washed off easily and 15 mins later, at 11.40, we hit the road for Coral Bay.

We drove through to Coral Bay arriving around 1.30pm. As we had booked at the Bayview Caravan Park, from Karijini, we checked
Coral BayCoral BayCoral Bay

Views from the Sub Sea Explorer
in and then set up the trailer. While we were doing this, William had been to the pool, reported it was really warm and was eager to swim in it. We walked across the road to the main shopping centre and bought some lunch. After Leanne had checked out all the shops, we returned to the park and got ready for the beach. On our way to the beach, both William and Daniel had a quick swim in the park pool. From here we walked across to the beach and all had a snorkel over the coral in the bay. Whilst the visibility was poor, we saw plenty of coral and fish. Once back on the beach, as we were all a bit cold, we dried and walked back to the park. On the way, we stopped and bought the boys an ice cream. Back at the park, the boys had another swim in the pool as the water was very warm. After showers, we had dinner and retired to the tent as the night air had cooled down and it became very windy. Leanne read the boys some Harry Potter before we put them to bed.

Day 59
Coral Bay 2Coral Bay 2Coral Bay 2

Goanna in the Caravan Park Driveway
Coral Bay 27/08/06

We awoke around 7.30am and had breakfast pretty well straight away. After breaky, while Leanne and I got a few domestics done, the boys played with other kids in the park. At around 10.30am we walked across to the local bakery for morning tea, which was really nice. As we had booked a tour on ‘The Sub Sea Explorer’ and had to be on the beach for 12noon, we returned to our camp and got ready.

We were on the beach around 11.55am and were picked up shortly after. As it turned out we were the only ones on the boat, us 4, the skipper and the guide. We were taken out over the coral for about 50 mins before we moored and went snorkeling. We saw plenty of coral, fish, and a turtle from the glass bottom boat. The four of us snorkeled for about 20mins before the boys decided they would return to the boat. Leanne and I stayed in the water for another 10 mins prior to joining them. The boys got to feed the fish while we were still in the water and on our return to the boat, there
Coral Bay 3Coral Bay 3Coral Bay 3

The Quadbike Tour
were fish everywhere. The tour guide left a lot to be desired (very inexperienced) but overall we enjoyed ourselves. As we were all wet, we had to remain on the top deck for the return trip, but this was okay. We arrived back on the beach at around 2.00pm.

On return to the beach we caught up with Rick and Jan East (from Taggerty) we had met previously, and Rick and I went up to the Coral Bay Hotel to watch Freo wallop West Coast Eagles on their TV’s. The atmosphere was great and the crowd was very boisterous. We thoroughly enjoyed the game and our time at the pub. Leanne and the boys stayed on the beach until about 4.30pm and had a swim in the park pool, before having showers, prior to dinner. After dinner Leanne read the boys some more Harry Potter, before we turned out the lights for an early night.

Day 60 Coral Bay 28/08/06

We awoke around 7.30am, but stayed in bed until about 8.30 listening to Leanne reading Harry Potter. As we had decided to have a lazy day on the beach, we took our time having breakfast, the boys
Coral Bay 4Coral Bay 4Coral Bay 4

The Quadbike Tour - Return Trip
did some diary work and then had a late morning tea at the bakery around 11.00am. We swam, snorkeled and the boys played in the sand. We caught up with Paul, Donna, Zac & Zoe Shepherd (from Portland) on the beach and arranged to catch up for drinks at our camp after dinner. On our way back to the camp at around 5.00pm, we booked an extra night stay. The boys played with their friends in the park, while Leanne and I had showers and then prepared dinner. At around 7.45pm, the Shepherds arrived and while the kids played, the adults enjoyed a few drinks and a chat. It was great to catch up and it was about 9.30pm before we said goodbye. It was then off to bed after another great day.

Day 61Coral Bay 29/08/06

We awoke around 8.00am and I cooked bacon and eggs in a hole for breakfast, at the boy’s request. While Leanne and I got a few domestics done, the boys did some math’s work, before we headed down to the beach. Without the boys realizing, Leanne slipped across to the shopping centre and booked a snorkeling tour on the ‘Quad Bikes’
CarnarvonCarnarvonCarnarvon

The 1 Mile Jetty
for 9.00am tomorrow morning! The boys insisted on a swim in the pool on our way and we stayed on the beach until around 4.00pm (more swimming and snorkeling). On our return to the park, we all had a swim in the pool before showing, prior to dinner. After dinner we went for ice creams and then caught up with the Shepherds at their camp. As we have a very early rise and pack up, prior to the quad bike tour, tomorrow it was early to bed.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb