Go!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
June 4th 2012
Published: June 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day one! Woke early to an apricot Perth sunrise and finished packing and organising, which took a while. We left at about 8:45, traffic was great as it is a public holiday today (happy WA day!). First stop was New Norcia, the Benedictine monastry an hour and a bit from Perth. We've never been there before. We didn't do the organised tour this time as it is 2 hours and we didn't have quite that long, but we had a look at the museum and walked around the historic buildings. Also bought some monastery bakehouse bread which was very nice with dinner.



From New Norcia we drove through Moora and then along the Brand Highway, past Greenough to the outskirts of Geraldton. We had lovely weather for the drive, enjoying the deep blue skies and glowing clouds in the big skies around Greenough. The Patrol is going ok, we have been taking it easy especially uphill.



Originally we were thinking of going past Geraldton to Galena Bridge campsite, however we decided we were cutting it a bit fine with time and aimed instead for the Fig Tree Crossing campsite, around 12 km NE of Geraldton (or, using our patented route, about 50km from Geraldton. More signage please council!). It's a nice large site with only a few campers here tonight. Kyle wasn't too impressed with all the "dirt" though - I think he was hoping for lawns!

Advertisement



5th June 2012

Good luck on the start of your journey
We will enjoy reading your blog and touring Australia with you. Glad your start was good and that Perth sent you off with good weather!
7th June 2012

Thanks :)
7th June 2012

I spent the first 20 years of my life 10 minutes down the road from New Norcia. We spent a lot of time there, mostly at the pub :D I got my drivers license there and the cop made me pretend that a tree was a stop sign. Happy travels Sal!
7th June 2012

Megs
Sounds like fun! Certainly not too many real stop signs around, lol.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb