Blowing a gale in Geraldton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
June 29th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We drove south, yesterday to the town of New Norcia. This is a town founded by the Benedictine monks in 1846 where they helped the indigenous population and started an orphanage for aboriginal girls. We did intend touring the town and abbey but found the tour would take over two hours. We had a long drive ahead of us and it was raining off and on so instead walked around the very interesting museum there.

There was a collection of Europen religious paintings from the 16th and 17th century which had been stolen from the monks in 1986, but all but one was recovered, if in bad condition.

We pressed on, back to Moora where we'd stayed the night before and then another 150 kms or so to Eneabba - always in wind and occasional rain. There were signs that this was THE area for wildflowers in spring. Just as we settled into the caravan park some kangaroos, one with a joey, came to eat the grass on the lawn nearby - and there were others around the park.

This morning we drove to Geraldton, in such strong winds that Doug had trouble keeping the motor home on the road at times. Geraldton is biggish, the usual large silos on the waterfront and large ships at the wharves. I think lobster is also caught around here as I've seen several places selling them - something I must try while we're up this way. The usual stores, Coles, Woolworths, Bunnings, Target are here but I'd love somewhere I can buy some scrapbook supplies!

We saw a sign to the Sydney Memorial so drove to see that. The HMAS Sydney was sunk by a German raider disguised as a merchant ship in 1941 with all hands (645) lost - Australia's worst naval disaster. The exact position of where the Sydney sank was always a mystery but the wreck was found last year off the WA coast, north of Geraldton. The memorial features a silver dome of 645 seagulls to represent each of the lost Sydney sailors. The wall of remembrance shows photographs of the ship and the names of the Sydney crew. To the north, a bronze statue of a woman gazes desperately out to sea as she awaits news of the ill-fated Sydney. Nearby is the stele - a single, dramatic shape representing the bow of the ship. all very moving.

It looks like it will be another night being tossed by this gale. We're thinking we'll leave the coast after we've picked up our mail at Kalbarri and head north on the inland road and hopefully we'll get away from this coastal gale.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The SteleThe Stele
The Stele

as it's called, representing the bow of the Sydney
Another viewAnother view
Another view

There was an eternal flame beneath the dome
The seamen's names are on the wallThe seamen's names are on the wall
The seamen's names are on the wall

as well as various photos of the Sydney and crewmen taken when they were in port.


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb