Fremantle: 2 weeks of research!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
June 10th 2006
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived on the 10th June in Perth and went straight to Fremantle. Stayed with a wonderful couple called sue and John who pretty much showed me the local side of Freo. From the 10th till the 23rd June I stayed there and pretty much took the train back and fourth from Perth to get an insight into the city which is known to be the most isolated one in the world. Perth is not dissappointing, most people say there is not very much going on in perth, well obvously compared to London and Sydney thats true but with an objective eye Perth is certainly a pretty nice city which stretches for miles in all directions the nicest of suburbs surrounding the banks of the Swan River, its pretty simple really. Fremantle, tours of all different shapes and sizes from my point of view were brilliant (for work purposes) and very interesting if you have that sad interest that I have with a townwhich claims my sirname!!!! Frematle prison is the perfect replica of Shawshank, and the colonial architecture certainly gives the place a certain feel of history which I found difficult to accept at first as its only around 200 years old -if that- so not quite of European age, but thats what Aus is all about. The Fremantle markets are worth a visit but dont bust a gut, good for souvenirs etc. However beside it stands a fantastic oriental food sort of plaza which serves everything from Pizza to Sushi - Yum! The Cappucino Strip'' or South Terrace is Bustling at the weekends, Freo is THE place to be on the weekend it literally comes alive and is great fun. Also the fishing boat harbour is a great place for fish and chips, while eating you can look at the most strange looking sea creatures in the mini aquarium, makes you think twice before ordering!
Went to Rottnest island to find that the hostel was undergoing refurbishment (watch out in winter months!) so had to come back for the evening otherwise would have had to spend a fortune on a shack! Rotto is great especially Little Salmon bay in which the island Authority have laid down plaques in the sea to give you a gided snorkel of the reef - how cool! Best to get a bike any way - I borrowed one, you can hire. The Sink is the most popular bay on the island and is definitely worth a visit, the colours of the water are beautiful. There are salt lakes in the centre of the island which give you the lovely suphuric aroma (ahh memories of Iceland!). Ferries to rottnest go infrequently and cost alot so plan ahead and get organised (like ! didn't).
Aboriginal Fremantle is pretty uneventful, there is a tour but it is short, best to go to Kings park to get a tour- its more significant- then if interested go on the Freo tour. Got fond of Perth and Freo by the end of the 2 weeks however Australia is so different in parts, Perth is pretty mundane in comparison.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb