Perfume and high waters.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fitzroy Crossing
September 18th 2011
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fitzroy River, Geikie Gorge N.P.Fitzroy River, Geikie Gorge N.P.Fitzroy River, Geikie Gorge N.P.

The cliffs of the far side of the river give an indication of the normal high-water mark.
Last night, there was a lovely delicate perfume in the air, which we think came from the blossoms of the acacia trees around the van. We realized this morning, that the bulls were grazing on the fallen blossoms. We have seen many interesting plants that are unfamiliar to us on this trip. I have taken photos of a few, hoping to be able to identify them some time in the future. Many of the plants bear fruit and pods, which are probably edible, but being aware that some are not, we only ventured to try the seeds of an acacia. As wattle seeds are used by the indigenous people and now famous chefs, we thought they would be safe. They were very pleasant to eat, but needed to be skinned, as the skin was bitter. No anaphylaxis or adverse reactions have been experienced, yet.
The boab tree is no longer a feature in the landscape as we travel south west towards Broome. The landscape now features taller gum trees and is quite lush. Today we travelled to Fitzroy Crossing, a larger than expected town with a population of fifteen hundred. The prime pastoral land surrounding the town is supported by the
Park ShelterPark ShelterPark Shelter

During the 2003 floods, the river peaked at two metre abobe the highest point of the roof of this shelter. The shelter stands eight metres above river level.
Fitzroy River. Saltwater crocodiles can be found in the waterways, and we think we saw one while on a visit into Geikie Gorge National Park this afternoon. Or, we could have seen a stick.
The Fitzroy River is a very wide, deep river. During the wet season, starting in October, the river and surrounding area is prone to flooding. The high water mark is evident on the cliffs and trees on either bank of the river. There is a shelter in the National Park which stands about eight metres above the river level. In 2003, the flood waters peaked two metres above the high peaked roof of the shelter. That is a lot of water. It must have been devastating for the towns’ folk.
The Fitzroy River Lodge, our home for the night, is the nicest van park we have stayed in. If we were giving out stars, this would have to be at least four and a half out of five. We had a delicious meal in the restaurant, to compensate for last nights’ bungle, and the grounds and amenities are spotless. As an added bonus, a gentle breeze brings a lovely perfume with it. Oh, we are being spoilt.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb