Route to the North


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
April 19th 2012
Saved: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Thursday the 19th: Day 3: Carnarvon to Exmouth, 367 km



Susan and I are now at the most northerly extent of our journey. We have reached Exmouth, which is 1260 km north of Perth. For Yukoners, it is about the same distance as Edmonton to Muncho Lake.... What did we see today? Termite mounds - very peculiar things really....Goats that might be feral or might have strayed.....emus, single and in little groups.....solar installations and a VLF antenna array that used to be the highest structure in the southern hemisphere. Close to Exmouth there is a naval base, and a solar observatory. It was across from the latter that we saw the sign of the cow being abducted by aliens! In some ways I am reminded of the Alaska highway. Long distances pass with nary a settlement or building to be seen. We stopped for gas at the Overlander Roadhouse. Much of the traffic on the highway are huge trucks traveling to the mines and LNG fields up north. These are called Road trains. I wonder if the show 'Ice Road Truckers' is broadcast here?



After the lonely highway it was a bit of a shock to enter a bustling tourist town. We stayed at the Exmouth Cape holiday park. Things were really hopping there, with bus tours of Europeans, people up for the fishing, whole families watching outdoor movies in the evenings. I saw the coolest RV type vehicle but neglected to take a picture. It was a sort of landrover, and on the roof there was a platform that slid out at night, and was enclosed by a tent, which was reached by way of a ladder. yes, in summary, a tent located on the roof of the land rover. I'll bet the risk from snakes and spiders is considerably reduced up there. but what a process to get to the loo in the middle of the night! We cooked our supper in a flashy stainless steel outfitted commercial camp kitchen, and went to bed early after our 3 day trek to Exmouth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

24th April 2012

WOW!!!
Hi Carole, Wow - thanks for all the fabulous and unique pictures - what fun!!! Just read both 17 and 19th's blogs - a bit behind with email these days but enjoying all your entries. Thanks so much for all the time you take to keep us on your journey with you. Things are great here. Anton and I managed to get to Rotary Festival Senior concert Sat. night which was fabulous - wonderful variety and everyone so accomplished. Nadia, of course, played marvellously at her last Rotary festival and had many wonderful comments from people afterwards. Hard to believe she'll be leaving us soon for university. Jim Smith is looking better and better and even wants to read lessons this Sunday from his chair. Rather small turnout Sun. morning but not surprising. Deb is doing Celebration of Swans Service this Sat. morning at Swan Haven for Pastor Bev who'll be away and can't do it - a new experience for her. Worship & Planning went well last night but just Deb, Lorraine & I there so we have homework. Planned up to mid-June so not bad. We're all going to review hymns for summer services and make suggestions at next mtg - May 16. We missed you but are happy you're having such a wonderful time. Tonight is pickup night for Food Bank Drive so won't write much now. Just know we're thinking about you and praying for your continued safe and amazing adventure. Hugs, Kim & Anton :) :)
26th April 2012

I love the pictures
Hi Carole - I have always wanted to go back to Australia and seeing these photos increases that desire! Maybe when I go on deferred leave I will go and see how things have changed since 1982! Rosanne

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb