Cape Le Grand


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
April 5th 2011
Published: April 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Cape Le Grand



First stop for the day was Woolworth caltex in Kalgoorlie where fuelled up (101.2L @ 151.9c/L), then headed on our journey to the south western coast.
Driving through Norseman the tin camels situated on a roundabout in town provided a rather interesting sight.
Once arriving in Esperance we took in the sights down on the esplanade, and did a bit of shopping at the local fishing and dive store - getting some snorkelling gear and a hand spear for Lach to go spearfishing with.
Cape Le Grand is an AMAZING national park, only $11 entry, and then $9per person per night. But as you can see from the pictures, our camp at Lucky Bay was well worth it!
We had never seen crystal aquamarine blue waters or such white sand - that is, not since Whitehaven Beach at the Whitsundays last year! Still, a very beautiful part of the world and we are lucky to have it in Australia!
Lachlan's only complaint was that everyone from the city seemed to have packed up and re-created the city in the country - running their generators for 8+hours, with caravans lit up like christmas trees! Bloody city slickers!
Lach headed out to test his new snorkelling gear (and hand spear), while I kept a lookout from the shore - much too cold for me! He managed to get a couple of small fish which will come handy later as bait.
The next couple of days we spent exploring nearby Thistle Cove, Rossiter Bay and Hellfire Bay - which was by far the most beautiful of all beaches we visited. We even saw a small pod of dolphins and a large sea turtle entering the bay to enjoy the smaller fish for lunch as well as the haven from rough seas.
We saw some beautiful sunsets, and sunrises, with good visibility with our new snorkelling gear under water, although no coral was to be seen in this area - just sea-weed and lots of small fish!
Wallabies could be found along the beaches, and digging up decomposing sea weed to find their next meal. Very odd to see a wallaby eating fish!
Plan to head west along the coastline until we reach Augusta, from then on in, it's only north!
Thanks for all the feedback on our blog - we hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy writing it.

Km's to and around Esperance 602
Km's this trip 4900.7


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th April 2011

Message from Deniliquin
Great story and pictures Lachie and Sheree, it is very interesting to us as we have been to all these places which we enjoyed many years ago, stay well and have a great time , lots of love Nana and Pop Gamble

Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb