Flora and fauna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Donnybrook
January 28th 2013
Published: January 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Road From DonnyBrookRoad From DonnyBrookRoad From DonnyBrook

Just a gravel track
After our spell bush camping we drove down to the South West to spend a few days in an Eco-lodge about 20km from the nearest town, Donnybrook. The lodge is completely self sufficient: 12v electrics powered by a solar array and water deliver by a rainwater catchment system. Sounds basic but it all works; main problem is loo and shower are outside. During our first evening Barbara decided to go and put some food in the bird feeder; as she walked down the slope from the lodge she slipped on pea-gravel and badly twisted her ankle. It was clear she was badly hurt so we took her straight to Donnybrook hospital. Over the weekend the hospital has no x-ray facilities so the doctor patched her up with a temporary plaster and recommended that we go to Bunbury Hospital first thing on Sunday morning; she said going late on Saturday was nor recommened for the obvious reasons.

At Bunbury the x-ray showed that the ligaments on the side of the ankle had been torn-off taking a piece of bone with them. It was estimated that ankle would have to be immobilised for 6 weeks or so in a plaster boot. When we pointed out that we were due to be flying in 3 weeks or so the doctor kindly arranged for us to have a removable ankle brace fitted the following day (Monday); the type that airlines permit wearers to fly with. To cut long story short Barbara is getting around with the aid of crutches; a follow up visit to an Orthopaedic specialist in Fremantle confirmed that the ankle brace is doing its job and she should be able to walk with the aid of a stick in next week or so.

I called this entry Flora and Fauna: at the lodge we found 3 baby scorpions wondering around and a couple of large spiders; the one in the pic I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, crawling across my shoulder. To say I jumped is putting it mildly: I know how James Bond felt in Dr. No.

We have now returned to the Perth area where we celebrated Australia Day in true aussie fashion by going for a swim (well, Jon and I did) and watching the fireworks in Fremantle Harbour. Our last few days in WA were spent in the Perth Hills where we visited some of the vinyards - sorry, wineries. Of the three we visited one, Myattsfield produces some spectacular wines for not a lot of money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

FreemantleFreemantle
Freemantle

National Australia Day
First of the DayFirst of the Day
First of the Day

I know, but it was gorgeous


30th January 2013

Fauna and flora
What bad luck Barbara, still sounds a fab adventure! Best wishes for a speedy recovery X

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb