Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Cervantes
Blogs from Cervantes
Latest Blogs from Cervantes
- March 6th 2013 On the road north! Perth to New Norcia, then Moora, and finally getting on the coast!
by Words: 1278 Photos: 17
- November 25th 2012 we have wheels
by Words: 415 Photos: 9
- June 10th 2012 Northern Safari
by Words: 620 Photos: 10
- April 20th 2012 Cervantes
by Words: 615 Photos: 17
- March 28th 2012 Lancelin / Cervantes / Cliff Head North / Coronation Beach, W.A.
by Words: 773 Photos: 56
- November 12th 2011 Off Roading & The Pinnacles
by Words: 1659 Photos: 16
- May 15th 2011 PIE At The Pinnacle(s)
by Words: 1985 Photos: 20
- May 14th 2011 'And So To Sleep, Perchance To Dream'!
by Words: 1218 Photos: 12
- April 13th 2011 Our trip to Cervantes and Jurien Bay - North of Perth
by Words: 610 Photos: 15
- December 28th 2010 The Turquoise Coast
by Words: 1464 Photos: 37
- April 9th 2010 pinnacles
by Words: 556 Photos: 27
- February 22nd 2010 To Fremantle and Beyond .....
by Words: 2569 Photos: 58
- November 28th 2009 One week away today!
by Words: 320 Photos: 5
- November 26th 2009 Three steps to curry heaven
by Words: 1193 Photos: 9
- November 25th 2009 What to get the kids for Xmas - a singing toilet!
by Words: 1494 Photos: 11
- October 24th 2009 Hi, we're now at Cervantes
by Words: 665 Photos: 22
- September 24th 2009 Roadtrip 2009 - Hutt River Province & Cervantes
by Words: 775 Photos: 10
- May 5th 2009 Small World
by Words: 2095 Photos: 10
- February 28th 2009 The Pinnacles
by Words: 288 Photos: 4
- January 7th 2009 28dec.-5.jan. 2009
by Words: 683 Photos: 34