Carnarvon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Carnarvon
June 6th 2012
Published: June 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

June 5th2012

We left Figtree Crossing at about 8:45 am and stopped in historic Northampton for fuel. There are some lovely old buildings there, like the old convent.



We drove on, stopping at the Overlander roadhouse for lunch. It was pretty busy there, lots of caravans and campers stopping for fuel and food.



The shrubs became shorter and scrubbier as we kept heading north, and the terrain was flatter. We stopped at a lookout about 100 km south of Carnarvon, where you can look across plains to the ocean. Again the big sky and glowing clouds were a feature of the drive.

We arrived at Carnarvon in the afternoon, passing lots of plantations such as bananas, tomatoes, pumpkins and corn. There was some water visible in the Gascoyne river however most of the river apparently runs underground. We stopped at the visitor’s centre to pick up some information, then proceeded north to the Blowholes. The camping area here at the blowholes, where we are staying, is pretty popular with caravans, camper trailers and a few tents. There are also a lot of old shacks in poor condition presenting a bit of an eyesore.



Just on sunset we went to look at the water shooting up from the blowholes. It was very scenic with the sunset, the interesting coastal rocks with holes like Swiss cheese, and the blowholes.



June 6th 2012

We spent the day walking around Carnarvon as we put the Patrol in to get a change of coolant. We had a coffee and then walked to the 1 mile jetty, the longest jetty in the north west, which dates from 1897. We also saw a railway and plant museum near the jetty. Quite a scenic walk back to town along the Gascoyne river delta and old tramline. There are some very nice looking new homes on the estuary in Carnarvon. Through Royalties for Regions funding there is also quite a bit of work happening along the main street, new parking and landscaping mainly by the look of it.

After collecting the car we had a look at the OTC (former NASA) satellite dish dating from 1966. We also went out to the memorial for the HMAS Sydney, a stone cairn on the coast not far from the blowholes. We had earlier seen the lifeboat from the Kormoran (which sunk the Sydney) in the museum near the jetty.

Alex’s diary: Today we walked along a verey big jetty. At the end we saw two pepole fishing. We walked such a long way.

Kyle’s diary: We worcted a veree far wae and I got veree brooste (sore foot). We woact along a veree long jetee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



12th June 2012

Hi sally & Co. Nice to read about your travels, I was born at one of those plantations in Carnarvon! Great sky picture. Alex & Kyle I enjoyed your diary entries. Safe travels. Ana x

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb