Cape Leveque - French named but still a nice place


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It mightn’t be on many maps, but 200ks north of Broome, Cape Leveque is definitely the place to be….. Average day time temperature range is 28-32 degrees with 75% humidity, with night time temps dropping down to a staggering 20 degrees at its coolest night last night. It was cold enough last night for Bruce to put on his jumper and Amanda to go looking for her tracky-daks. God help us when we travel south this Thursday, into sub 20 degree temperatures. As we type this, planes are passing no more than 20 metres over our heads to land at the nearby air strip. Fun watching them land in the wind and much less invasive than the couple shagging all the time at Kununurra

Cape Leveque is a bit hard to describe except it is on a northern sprint of Western Australia, with the Camp Ground located at the northern most end, with beaches on both eastern and western sides of the main campus. The accommodation is wide and varied with lowly non-powered camp sites, that we peasants find ourselves in, up to $240 a night condo-looking-permanent tent set ups that over look the eastern beach. What we did try unsuccessfully to get into were the beach side accommodation huts which has room for both the camper as well as a 30m.sq permanent wood pergola structure that has plant matting as the roof. These are fantastic as the temp outside can be extreme, while inside it can be 10 degrees cooler, with the sea breeze able to take most effect. Still, we are pretty happy, the food and drinks here are well priced and we have been able to catch up with the workers here we met in Broome as well as Ian and Corrie from Survivor - Manning George.

Thank the bloody stars, the solar panel is working fantastically with our power problems no longer dogging us. Looking around, there are many people who have fully insulated their storage areas to minimise heat during the day. Something to think about.

There is a fair bit around Cape Leveque to see, we both went south about 10ks to Lombidina, an Aboriginal settlement that looks to have its crap together, with ample grass lands, no debris or rubbish and lots of development work going on……finally, we found one. There is something to be said for the obvious influences of church and state services, like health and education. Although, like most, the settlement shops were closed on Saturday and Sunday, we drove over to the beach and stood by ourselves on one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen. Bright white sands, lots of interesting shells and not another person for as far as the eye could see. Fantastic!

Been dropping the line in where possible and only have a small (and potentially the most unlucky) Reef Cod. Rods and reels aren’t really designed for surf fishing and it is quite frustrating. But if you don’t have a line in, you aren’t going to catch them. They aren’t going to crawl up the beach onto the frying pan by themselves.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb