Busselton Activities - an update


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
March 2nd 2012
Published: March 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Busselton Activities – 2

March 2nd

Our life here continues to be busy with ‘social engagements’ involving our park neighbours occurring most nights. I have adopted the Neil Gronow approach to life and make sure that all new arrivals are greeted and made welcome to ‘our park’, I am sure you would be very proud of me Neil !!

So, what is the update on activities, firstly, last weekend WA Volleyball Association held the Busselton Open, part of the State Series Volleyball Competition. This kept us busy for half a day watching the five courts in action and looking around the supporting activities in town. While this was all going on the WA Long Board Surfing titles were being held at Yallingup, I told Trish I should have entered, but I was told to ‘grow up’. Not sure what was meant by the comment but I took it to mean that she was concerned about my safety out there with all the large white pointers that have been sighted lately. We are continually amazed at the number of events that are attracted to Busselton and the surrounding region. Over the next two weeks there are music festivals, arts festivals, concerts in the vineyards, more yacht racing, a local Tri event and a half marathon. On top of this, Busselton is hosting the finals of the Bowls series for the region so the place is just buzzing. Stop press… I have just been told that the Karri Cup Mountain Bike Challenge will also be held this weekend !

What else…well I guess some other news would be that anyone purchasing wine from Driftwood, Heydon or Wildberry Vineyards (2012 Vintage) in the future will be well pleased to know that I have probably been involved in the grape harvest…that should increase the value of their respective wines !

We have become friendly over the past two weeks with Dave and Diane who were camped behind Kiwi Ben’s site. Lovely people with an even lovelier dog, Essie, sorry Dave. We enjoyed great company with them and shared stories, as you do, and hope to catch up with Dave in Derby (where he works) when we head North. In discussion one evening with them we found that they were passionate supporters and volunteers with the Orangutan Foundation in Borneo and so over a few beers one night Kiwi Ben and I decided that we needed to do something for them and the ‘monkeys’.

So, last night (Thursday) we held a communal Happy Hour at our park and canvassed all residents of the other Kookaburra Parks (3 in total) to join us and enjoy some fellowship and a ‘singalong’ with Kiwi Ben and his guitar. We asked Dianne to put a display of photos together and then we asked for a gold coin donation to go to the Orangutans from all who attended.

What a fabulous night we all had, impromptu as it was, we still had around 30 people join us with their chairs and drinks and to singalong with Kiwi Ben…well singing is loose terminology really, but we all had a great evening. The result was we raised $129.40…can you believe that!!

With the addition of 60cents this was rounded up to $130.00 and Diane went onto the foundation website, www.orangutan.org and was able to purchase one acre of rainforest in Borneo that will be preserved forever by the foundation for the orangutans…how cool was that, and we all had a ball doing it !

It is hard to believe, but we have such a
After all that activity....After all that activity....After all that activity....

...you need to eat, so what is wrong with cooking up a bag full of crabs caught on the beach at the end of the road...
hectic life with so much on and regularly collapse exhausted at night…but hey…someone has to do it!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

..and after that huge feed..and after that huge feed
..and after that huge feed

...you have just got to have a beer.
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

Just a few of the 'happy' crowd that joined us for a drink and 'singsong'
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

more 'Happy' revellers
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

Kiwi Ben in action
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

This couple knew all the words !
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

..what it is about, stopping the destruction of habitat to establish Palm Oil Plantations
Orangutan Happy HourOrangutan Happy Hour
Orangutan Happy Hour

The action hotting up !


2nd March 2012

awesome.
you make us laugh mike vicars. yes Neil is very proud of you welcoming the new arrivals at'your park'!!! we'll make a park manager out of you yet! we'll have to call you 'have-a chat' 2 it is surprising how so many events of all sorts are held in Busselton there must be some atraction, the place obviously just the fact it has great beaches? we love the fact you are meeting people and not just sittin'round, taking advantage that is available to you! love the story of raising money for the orangatangs, what a wonderful way to raise money. that would be something that we would have enjoyed as you know.it is a amazing what one man with a guitar can do!!!!love ya both miss you think of you often. hows our little 'fish' jackie?
2nd March 2012

Have a Chat 2 ....
...to Have a Chat 1, do you read me? yeah I could get used to that ! We had a great night and are now thinking of doing it again for our interest, Animals Asia and the moon bears, stay tuned for that one. Jackie is great, we have just returned from the beach where she has been swimming and annoying the #@!~ out of any seagull that flew or came near us!Just had a shower to get the salt and sand off her and now she is having a bicky. She just said to say woof you lots Uncky Neil. (you lot are nuts!) Bye xxx
2nd March 2012

orangutan happy hour
Hi mike&trish that one way to have a drink but you all look like you enjoyed yourselfs glad to see you are still finding new friends everyday love judy &peter xxx
2nd March 2012

Happy Hour
Happy Hour is quite a ritual with travellers, and in most places you go you can always find a group to sit with come 4pm as long as you take along an esky. The longest Happy Hour we have ever had was on our trip back from seeing Bruce & Mim at William Creek Pub (Buggers have sold it now!) and we got stuck in the deluge at Copley and Happy Hour lasted three days!
2nd March 2012

Heatwave
Just to let you know that Aberdeen (north of the wall) had an all time February high temperature of 17.8C in 1897, a couple of days ago the temperature was 17.2C. Warming up for the Olympics I think!!!! Nice to read you are busy saving the Borneo rain forests and the inhabitants. Maybe your next caravan trip could be up to Borneo to see your bit of forest. Are there many people working in Aussie?all day seems to be festivals. Yes watch out for the white pointers, you would not catch me in waters anywhere but an inland Scottish Loch, and I ain't too sure about that as the Lochs have monsters, so they say!! Keep having fun and take care Brian
2nd March 2012

Retirement has been good for you !
seems to me Jimmy, that you have too much time on your hands if you are trolling through historical meteorological records to check out the temperatures of Aberdeen. Having said that it is good to know that you are exercising the old grey matter in your dotage ! It just goes to show that North of the Wall is God's country after all..positively sub tropical and over a very extended period of time as well ! Ahh the Olympics, well that could turn into a topic all on its own. How is your Grandfather image progressing, I trust you are practising on Rosie?

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb