Birdy Nerdy is on the case


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mabel Downs StationMabel Downs StationMabel Downs Station

To get to Purnululu you have to go through Mabel Downs Station

DAY 216


It was an early start for both of us this morning, we are expecting, all being well, Andrew and Kirsty to stop by at 7.30 ready for our drive into the Bungle Bungles.

It was about 5.00am and I could already hear someone was up and about, it sounded as if someone was up from the tour bus getting the kettle on and the breakfast ready for the clientele. By 6.00 we could hear all of the zippers going on the swags as one by one they were all surfacing.

We were both up by 6.15, we had an early night last night so it felt good to get out of bed feeling quite awake. The kettle was on and we immediately started to pack up the trailer, once it was all done, we sat down on a picnic bench and enjoyed our cereal breakfast and remainder of our first cup of tea for the day.

The night was exceptionally cold again, we have only just got used to it being warm at night again but still not as cold as some nights have been. By 7.00 the sun was already quite hot,
WarningWarningWarning

You Caravan will fall to bits if you bring it along this 52 K track
it was lovely to be able to take of my fleece and enjoy the warmth.

We were sat talking and I remembered our conversation with Red last night, I said to Andy that I thought he may have been after a lift into the Bungle Bungles (Purnululu National Park) as he had relayed a story to us that he only has 2 wheel drive and was turned back by a ranger yesterday when he tried to drive in.

Andrew and Kirsty did not arrive until 8.00 and explained that when they got to Turkey Creek last night the caravan park was fully booked on powered and unpowered sites, but the owners said they could park in the driveway, of course still charging them the full amount for the privilege. However that also meant a little bit more messing around this morning getting the caravan into the storage facility so that it would be safe overnight while in the Purnululu camping with us.

Anyway, the tyres were all reduced in pressure down to 28 from 45 Psi and we drove across the road to the park entrance, only to see a couple of people with signs asking for
Open TrackOpen TrackOpen Track

The dirt Track to Purnululu
a lift into the Purnululu. We saw this couple on our site last night, the problem is that we are already on our way and packed to the gunnels with out gear so could not fit anyone else in., the same with Andrew and Kirsty. We both agreed that if they had come round to talk to people last night and made an effort to strike conversation and ask for a lift then we might have been able to oblige and make some room for two passengers.

It would have been the same with Red, if he had asked we might have helped.

We have been told by a few people that this road is extremely bad and it had taken some people 3 hours to get in the 52 K’s to the visitors centre, we are expecting a rough drive in with a few water crossings.

The first proper water crossing was 20k’ms in, we had crossed a few puddles up until this point, we could see Andrew and Kirsty waiting up the slope on the other side, Kirsty was rushing down with the camera.

Andy selected 4wd and made his way down the slope and into the water, it was not until we were half way across that he needed some acceleration realised that he was still in neutral, so far from making the smooth crossing he had hoped for, still we got across, it was quite deep and I could see the front of the trailer dip into the water as we went in, I thought that the trailer might let water in via its back flap and soak our cases, but it was fine.

It took us 1½ hours to drive the 52 K’s in; it was a slow and cautious drive over quite rough terrain, and deep-water crossings but nothing too serious, and great fun to boot. We arrived at the Visitors Information Centre, had a look around and booked two nights at the Walardi Camp Ground, the lady at the VIC explained all about the area, and the Flora and Fauna.

We agreed that before we went to the campground we would do the two walks at the Northern part of the Purnululu before driving to the southern part to get camp set up.

We find ourselves driving up a dry riverbed to get up to the
Into the River....Into the River....Into the River....

Negotiated beautifully!
first walk at Echidna Chasm. The day did not feel as hot as they had been recently, however by the time we got going for our walk you could feel the heat of the day had increased considerably.

Echidna Chasm walk was really excellent and most definitely some more “Wow” moments as we soak up the scenery around us. We walked further up another dry riverbed, very rocky ground, but the rocks were round from the beating they take when the river is in full flow.

The walk ended at the end of the chasm where you just could not go any further, the high walls of the gorge surrounded you, and the only way back was the way we came in. It was exactly 12.00pm, the sun was directly overhead and it illuminated the inner chasm quite spectacularly, the shafts of light lit up both sides of the gorge.

We stopped at the Osmand Lookout on the way back to the trucks, where you can look over the spectacular Osmand Range, however there were some sign boards indicating details of the mountain range ahead of us and some of the wildlife that we may see, there is a picture of birds on the sign boards and the name says they are Zebra Finches, however much to Kirsty’s dismay they are actually Double Banded Finches, now we have explained that Kirsty is a bit of a twitcher and she does know her stuff, so I think there will be some harsh feedback left at the visitors centre when they drive past tomorrow.

We yomped back and by the time we arrived at the trucks all the picnic tables under the shade were taken so the only alternative we had was to drive to the next walk hoping there was some shade for us there to sit and have lunch.

We arrived in the car park for Mini Palm Chasm walk, after driving further up the dry riverbed, I would hate to imagine how much water flows down this riverbed in the wet season, I cannot imagine that we would be able to get anywhere near it, we sat under a sun awning and made some lunch in preparation for the longer hike into the gorge. Again we hiked up the dry riverbed, it makes it a tough walk and probably longer too.

The early part of this walk showed the different colours of the Purnululu, the colours of the sand changed from light brown to red and then to light brown again. It was a 5k walk, which was fantastic ending at an elevated amphitheatre that was stunning, once we took some, pictures we yomped all the way back and along the dry river bed, which seemed never ending.

Once the walk was completed we drove to the Walardi campsite and chose a pitch for the night, it was going to be dark soon so we needed to get a wiggle on, and in no time at all the trailer was up and everything we needed was set out.

Kirsty and Andrew set up their tent but unfortunately Kirsty had a migraine and went straight to bed, Andrew took her some Peanut butter sandwiches. The evening was turning really cold, I didn’t feel like much to eat so Caroline and Andrew had a mixed concoction for tea, and I just picked at bits.

This camp site does not allow you to bring in your own wood as they “provide it” unfortunately there is only one fire ring at each camp which in my opinion is not enough, and being such a cold night would have been most welcome, but they had also not left enough wood to have a fire in the communal fire ring.

By 7.30 we were all in our respective beds as it was so cold outside I just needed to get warm, If it had been warm we would have been happy to sit out and play cards or something. Caroline sat in bed to keep warm while she typed up some of the blog.

Just one last thing the night sky is breath taking it is absolutely clear as a bell and so big, we watched 3 satellites cross the night sky before we went to bed.

So I will bit you goodnight bloggers, actually a very early goodnight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

ConglomorateConglomorate
Conglomorate

This rock is a conglomorate of pebbles and boulders embedded into a sandy matrix. Millions of years of pressure and compaction are what we se today.
Walk Up the Dry River BedWalk Up the Dry River Bed
Walk Up the Dry River Bed

I cannot imagine what this is like when the wet season is in full flow.
SurveyingSurveying
Surveying

The scenery is magnificent we all stop in awe to keep looking up.
Bungle BunglesBungle Bungles
Bungle Bungles

One view of many in the Purnululu National Park
As Far As We GoAs Far As We Go
As Far As We Go

The chasm stops here!
BouldersBoulders
Boulders

See them caught in the narrow walls, time to leave.
Midday StrikesMidday Strikes
Midday Strikes

The sunlight floods in
FormationFormation
Formation

See the conglomorate?


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb