Saturday, August 11, 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Bunbury
August 11th 2012
Published: August 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We actually slept in today, 715pm. I guess we were finally getting used to the time difference from the states. Our flight was not until 135pm, so we had time to relax a little. After showering we headed to breakfast at our hotel. The receptionist said our breakfast was not included in our rate so if we wanted to eat the cost was $39 for the full buffet. I almost chocked considering the cost of the hotel was already extremely expensive. We ended up eating the buffet which was good, but not worth $39. We joked this would be our only meal for the day.

After breakfast we returned to our room, packed and hung around. I sorted photos and worked on my travel blog, and Cindy’s Dad sorted his photos. Michael learned new words on his iPod.

There was no Internet access in the room, only available in the hotel lobby for a charge. I am realizing the states are much friendlier and open about free WiFi in public places and hotels. It is so sad how much we rely on this now. Michael and I ended up going to the lobby to pay for the Internet since it had been a 24 hour period since he connected with his friends. The rate was $1.00 for 6 minutes. So I purchased $10 worth for Michael and $5 for me. This was a huge relief to connect with everyone.

We left for the airport around 1100am. We needed to fill the car with Petro (we call it gas in the US). The petro of choice was Shell. Total cost to fill up, $52. We arrived at the airport about 10 minutes later. The check in process was quick; however Cindy’s Dad and I had to check our carryon bags. Michael’s was light enough; he did not need to check. Cindy told me before leaving this may happen. Luckily when we were coming from Sydney to Ayers Rock we could carry-on. The major reason why they make you check our carry-on bag is it is over 7kg but also there is major concern about heavier luggage falling from the lockers (overhead bins in the US) injuring someone. Cindy’s Dad told Michael and I a story about a person he knows in Bunbury father had just retired and was flying somewhere was hit by a heavy piece of luggage from the overhead bin. We waiting at the airport for about 1.5 hours then boarded our flight to Perth. The plane was small, similar to an AA MD80 plane. Like the flight from Sydney the day before, we were served a meal, lunch. Today we ate a squash ravioli and pastry dessert. Coffee and Tea were served.

We landed in Perth around 215pm. After getting our checked luggage, we rented an Avis car. Cindy’s Dad was driving today since he knows this area well and the traffic may get tricky. He drove us into the City Center of Perth and Michael absolutely loved it. It is surrounded by water and the weather was fairly warm so there were a lot of people mingling outside. We did stop at the Harbor area because I wanted to get information on Rottnest Island. I was told this is a worthwhile trip. The harbor area is very charming and a great place to probably just sit and relax. Unfortunately, I did not take any photos.

We then drove to Bunbury on Route 5. This journey was about 2 hours. By the time we arrive in Bunbury at 600pm, it was dark. Winter time, early sunset. We are staying at apartment in Bunbury. The company is Quest. For this evening, we had two separate units. However tomorrow we move into one unit, three separate bedrooms. This apartment complex is really nice and well designed.

We left the apartment complex to find the Target store which is around the corner. We did locate it however it closed at 700pm, like every other store in Bunbury, not used to this. We need to plan accordingly. Cindy’s Dad then drove us around town to show us where everything is. The town has actually grown a lot from when I was last here. We ended up going to a restaurant that Cindy and Jenny visited when they were here last. We ate dinner at Ex-tension. It sits on the beach, Indian Ocean. Too bad it was dark; you could see the ocean a little, but not as much if it was daylight. For dinner Michael and Cindy’s Dad ate the Surf and Turf and I had a chicken breast. Michael ordered a Garlic Loaf (Bread) and we shared this. I also drank a local beer. Good stuff.

After dinner we walked around some to hear the ocean. There must be a storm coming because the sea was very rough. We came back to the apartment around 830pm and went to our individual apartments.

I asked Michael if he wanted to walk into town to size up his running route. We ended up at Henry’s, a coffee and sandwich shop, and yes they had free Internet. Finally Michael and I hung out there and drank coffee. We then walked back to the apartment (10 minute walk). Michael went to bed; I stayed up to work on sorting my photos and posting my Sydney travel blog.

Sorry no photos today.

Sunday we travel south to visit the valley of the giants, tree top walk. Can’t wait to visit this area again. I have vivid memories of this area before.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb