16th to 20th September 2012 (Broome)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 20th 2012
Published: October 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Days on the Road = 82 Days (11 Weeks & 5 Days)



16th September 2012

Today we caught up with one of Charles' old work colleagues, Rob for a drink at the Mangrove Hotel and then we stayed on for a bite to eat where I enjoyed a lovely plate of fresh prawns and even better they were half price. Yum. The hotel was located very close to the mangroves, hence the name, so we didn't stay too long as we didn't want to be eaten alive by the midges. It was a lovely day and the hotel offered a fantastic view which should be fully appreciated at high tide!

17th September 2012

The girls have been real troopers when it comes to doing their schooling and have been progressing really well and generally after a long school day they have enough time to go for a swim. This is exactly what they done today and Charles took them up to the pool whilst I marked their work. About an hour later I hear this child crying coming towards the van and it was getting louder and louder and my heart stopped, that was my little one!

Charles came rushing back to the van with my youngest daughter screaming "I don't want to go to the hospital, I don't want stitches" with a towel held up to her head and blood dripping down. GREAT! I had a look and she had split her head open near her hairline, it definitely needed stitches. She had been doing a handstand in the pool and was too close to the edge and misjudged the distance when she went down and hit her head on the edge of the pool which was finished off with tiles. So, off we went to Broome Hospital, and what an evening we had, the poor little thing ended up having to have laughing gas whilst they put the anaesthetic in and stitched it up. Three stitches later and mummy needing some laughing gas we emerged from the hospital.

Happy Meal Time for our brave little soldier and plenty of kisses and cuddles. She will also be sleeping with mummy, much to her delight, for the next few days until she gets her stitches out, I can't afford for her sister to accidently knock her in the middle of the night. We are actually leaving Broome before her stitches need to come out so we will have to decide whether to get her stitches out in Fitzroy Crossing or wait until we get to Kununurra. Yet another hospital visit, two now since we left on our trip, don't really want to add any more of these stats to our page.

20th September 2012

Only two more days until we leave after a long four week stay in Broome and it has been wonderful even with the illnesses and the hospital visit.

Today we went to Matso's Brewery which is renowned for its microbrewery and I'd heard the Mango Beer especially was delicious and they weren't wrong there. We decided to also stay for a bite to eat prior to heading out to watch a movie at Sun Pictures. The menu had a German theme so Charles and I settled on a plate of kassler and mash and it was yum yum. The taste of the meat transported me back to my younger childhood days when my dad used to cook kassler in the weber bbq. Great Memories.

After dinner and with a full belly we head to the movies passing by some beautiful boab trees which line the street. Australian Boab Trees are just amazing looking trees and can only be found in the Kimberley region of Western Australia however can extend up to the Northern Territory.

Tonight’s movie was "The Sapphires" which I can say was absolutely bloody fantastic, topped with being in an open air cinema, in deckchairs, with planes landing over your head, bats swooping around and lizards running on the screen it was certainly a night I will remember for a long time and I don't think any other cinema experience will top this one. WOW!

Big pack up day tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb