TOM PRICE TO BROOME


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
June 8th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

TOM PRICE TO BROOME

Wednesday 2nd June, we had 420km to go today so we left early. Some of the scenery of the Mungaroo Range were just as good as the Hamersley Range on the way up. After lunch we got held up for about half an hour, with a very large, ( 9 mtrs high and 15 mtrs wide ) mining rig section being delivered by road to one of the mines. There were 4 trucks in total in the convoy.
We had been told to stay at the Black Rock caravan park in Sth Hedland, but it turned out to be the pits. dirty, run down, and full of mining workers. I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy.

Thursday 3rd June, on the trip from Sth Hedland to 80 Mile Beach, we had to slow down many times as we encountered many pockets of cattle feeding on the edges of the highway. Also, today was a bit of a battle with a strong head wind most of the day. The 80 mile Beach Caravan Park is 10km off the highway along a very dusty, sandy gravel road. The back of the van was covered in red dust. After setting up, we walked over the sand dunes to the beach, where there were as many people fishing off the beach as you would see anywhere. About 10 mtrs apart, as far as you could see, in both directions. Not many fish caught though.

Friday 4th June, we had decided to stay here for 3 nights to have a rest for a couple of days. We met up with Peter and Dorothy from Donvale again and we all walked up the beach for an hour then came back. We rewarded ourselves with an enormous double headed ice cream for our efforts. Read and relaxed for the rest of the day.

Saturday 5th June, Pam and I walked the beach in the other direction for about 45 minutes collecting shells for our grand children to enjoy. No ice creams today though. The park has filled up with a group of 150 church people here for the long weekend.

Sunday 6th June, there was another strong wind blowing when we left this morning, and it was a head wind for an hour or so. There isn’t much to see between 80 mile beach and Broome and it was good to eventually arrive in Broome in the early afternoon. We had booked in to the Cable Beach Caravan Park for 12 nights to get ourselves ready for our cruise on the 19th. More later.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb