Bloody Hot in Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
April 6th 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We expected rain, we expected heat, and we expected humidity; but we got way more heat and humidity than we ever imagined!! My, oh my, was it bloody HOT!!!! Remember that we are no rookies to hot, humid weather after 30+ years of living in southern Florida. This made a good hot, humid August day in FL look like springtime! These two sun worshippers met their match in this hot, humid corner of Australia. After 12 days of trying to deal with it and accept our fate, we hopped on a plane and got out of there.

Cable Beach was everything that we had remembered it to be. The beach is a beautifully long, pristine, expanse of sand, surf, and dunes. We were able to enjoy it at 5:30 a.m. and again at 5:30 p.m. The sunrises and the sunsets were fantastic. The nightly camel safaris were fun to watch and photograph. But, as far as going to the beach and enjoying the day that wasn't an option. In fact, most of our days there were spent inside in the air con.

Speaking of air con, Internet Gallactica became our main hang out and allowed me to get all the Africa blogs completed. Of course, this was done while listening to the swearing gamers and hearing and seeing all the recent music videos on the big screen TV. I now know more pop and hip-hop songs than I have known in the past 15 years!

Three beach side restaurants, in Broome, were our other haunts and provided good food, great cappuccino, cool breezes, and a dry place to watch the killer storms that would roll in from the Indian Ocean.

The town of Broome was a bit of a disappointment. Six years ago, it was a quaint little town with raised wooden sidewalks, Oriental facades, and an ambience unlike other Australian towns. The town council decided to update the town and removed the wooden walks and replaced them with paver bricks. Then they removed the wooden facades and covered the buildings in gray "crinkly tin" with red trim. (Crinkley tin is their word for corrugated tin.) It looks very warehouse-like and not the least bit charming. It also looks like most other outback towns. It also has a McDonald's and will soon have a KFC and a Subway in the center of town. We don't know what they were thinking. It was very depressing!

The people and the beach were the very best aspects of the visit to Broome. Being unable to be outside during the day was just too restrictive for our lifestyle. So we have moved back to Noosa, which is about 2 hours north of Brisbane.

It is a lovely place to hang out at the beach, walk in the National Park, search for koalas, stroll by the river, and enjoy the beautiful weather. Their autumn weather is just beginning and it feels like October in FL. As far as weather is concerned, it doesn't get much better than that.

In a few days (4/10) we will be flying to Sydney to see the Stones preform in the Olympic Stadium. Then we will fly back to the States (Indiana) on 4/15. After 2 weeks there, we will drive back to FL. Our plans are to stay there until we leave for the Greek Islands and Europe on 7/10. That will take us up to 9/18 and then who knows what will be next!!
Still truckin' down the road, RPM


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Another hard day walking the beachAnother hard day walking the beach
Another hard day walking the beach

It's hard work, but somebody has to do it.
Cable Beach sand dunesCable Beach sand dunes
Cable Beach sand dunes

There are no building along the coast for the 15 miles of Cable Beach - just miles of sand dunes.
Gantheaume Point LighthouseGantheaume Point Lighthouse
Gantheaume Point Lighthouse

Gantheaume truly has a fossilized dinosaur print that is visible in the rocks along the beach at low tide. We tried to walk there but it was too far in the extreme heat. We couldn't get there by car or bus because the road was still washed out from the rains of the wet. We saw a picture of it in the tourist brochure!!
Downtown BoomeDowntown Boome
Downtown Boome

Sun Pictures cinema is on the left. This and Johnny Chi Lane are the main spots in town.
Sun PicturesSun Pictures
Sun Pictures

This is the longest running garden setting cinema in Australia. It opened in 1930.


7th April 2006

AMAZING
Your stories and pictures are beyond amazing. I can't even imagine the adventure that you are experiencing. Hope you can stop by when you are back SRQ.
8th April 2006

Thanks for another set of great pictures. I'm going to need an explanation for the crab art on the beach. Have a great time at the Stone's concert and a safe trip back to the U.S.A. Looking forward to your next phone call. Love, Nancy
8th April 2006

Stop
Man, i almost wanted you just to stop at Cabel Beach at Sunset with the Camels! How wonderful!
8th April 2006

The trip just keeps getting better. Those camel photos were spectacular! The girls and I are loving the Blogs. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the Stones.
9th April 2006

Magnificant
I would love to have copies of your photos. They are unbelieveablely beautiful. WOW.

Tot: 0.548s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 31; qc: 142; dbt: 0.2521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb