6 million berries later...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Augusta
January 19th 2014
Published: January 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

...and we are on the road again



Had such a great time at the vineyard. Packing and picking 6 1/2 tonnes of blueberries, dreaming about berries at night, working up to 9 hours a day, because when the berries are ripe there is no holding back.



Great people to work for and work with. New friendships made and it was somewhat sad to pack up and leave.



Spent my birthday camping at the vineyard, on “castle hill”, spent Christmas with the Managers at the wonderful vineyard homestead and Geof finally got his cold Christmas ham and salads and home-baked cakes and ….. we had a beaut thistle Christmas tree in the bush and I played my Ukulele Christmas songs over and over.



New Year we watched the Sydney fireworks on TV because not much banging going on out Mt Barker way!



Rode our bikes each day to work. Swam in a limestone dam nearby. Got to know the Mt Barker community and as usual away from the coast in small country towns the people are just amazing in friendliness.



So yes part of my heart stays behind here.

That's the pleasure and curse of travelling.



Finished blueberries a couple weeks early because the price had dropped due to a berry influx from the east coast and NZ. So not worth it to pick anymore which seems just a crazy thing. That's farming I guess.



We have eaten kilos of blueberries and made blueberry mush for our yoghurt and are turning into blue little creatures soon.



First thing after Barker we went to the coast. OCEAN was high on the Richter scale and here we are east of Albany in a beautiful little spot called Norman's Beach run by the Albany Council where one can stay free for up to 7 days. Have been paddling our canoe with the moon coming up and dipping into the azure ocean. Long walks along the beach, yoga, jogging, bike riding and meditating. It does not get much better than this.



And Geof is writing heaps.



2014 another year as surprising as ever...





Ah yes we also listened to a minuscule contingency of the Cologne Symphony Orchestra in a tiny little church in Denmark. Boy they where good. Everybody was jumping to their feet and clapping like crazy. It was like a live Rock Concert!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb